For the love of cheese :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gjetost--with a tart apple, or grated and melted in venison/beef gravy, or, most recently, grated on top of poutine made with the beef-cream-lingonberry-gjetost gravy

Oka on a fresh baquette

Jarlsberg--makes a great grilled cheese sandwich

Asaigo

Provolone

A good swiss

Right now I'm loving aged gouda shaved onto a slice of homemade foccacia. So many cheeses that I love love my trips to the store I come home with a different type of cheese. Racelette,,dry jack,parmesan, asiago, chevre, feta,fontina,swiss,There are so many more but the names have slipped my mind.
kades:LOL:

With anyone watching the fat & calories in cheese....laughing cow cheese is a great alternative. 1 wedge only has 35 calories, it's great on a toasted bagel with strawberry jam.

BreezyCooking said:
Being a hard-core cheeselover, I have a list of cheeses & comments back on my old computer that need to be transferred by dear hubby to my new computer. But off the top of my point little head:

Brie - While of course I enjoy the imported brands, our local Wegmans offers a wonderful Brie packaged by wedge under their own name & in 3 different scales of ripeness - "mild", "buttery", "earthy". "Buttery" & "Earthy" are my two favorites, & spreading their wonderful ooziness on a "Stoned Wheat Thin" cracker is a true pleasure.

Any Blue - from Gorgonzola (dolce is my favorite) to Maytag, tossed into salads or served with perfectly ripe sliced pears & a glass of ruby port.

Gruyere - sliced with crackers, used in any number of sauces, or allowed to show itself in a delicious wine-spiked fondue.

Hot Pepper Cheese - yes, yes, I know it's "processed", but sometimes I really do get a hankering for heat-spiked cheese, & we have quite a few very good brands available around here. On crackers or melted into natchos - sometimes it just really hits the spot.

Feta - while I frequently buy the supermarket types, I also frequently splurge & order the real barrel-aged stuff, to which the supermarket brands can't compare. Tossed into salads, into sauteed spinach, into Spanokopeta, Greek shrimp dishes, etc., etc. I LOVE feta.

Goat Cheeses - have yet to meet one I haven't loved. From aged Gouda types to the soft & creamy ones that are perfect for stuffing into chicken breasts.

There are dozens of others, but these are the ones most often found in my fridge.

Mmmm. I make a great Blue Cheese, Pear and Walnut Pasta. It can't be beat!

Last edited by a moderator:
A favorite cheese? You have to be kidding. I live in cheese-land, USA and I couldn't possibly choose. A few months ago we had a cheese platter at a local brew pub and really loved a couple of them. We talked to the owner, who said to go to Hook's in Mineral Point. Once the weather settled we took a road trip. We just happened to hit the cheese factory when they were open (making fresh cheese curds, very popular around here), and bought pounds of their various cheeses. But most fun was talking to the cheese makers. There are so many small, artisinal cheese makers in this part of the country, and we do this when we can. We can buy cheese aged for much longer than you can buy in the stores, we talk about who makes the best of this or that type of cheese, and then invite friends over to taste.

New to the Forum - a Cheese Lover says Hello!

Just returned from my local cheese shop with a terrific Humboldt Fog chevre, a chunk of the best Gruyere, and a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. I have so many favorites there isn't room to list here.
I am new to this forum and look forward to exchanging info with fellow cheese lovers!

Just returned from my local cheese shop with a terrific Humboldt Fog chevre, a chunk of the best Gruyere, and a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. I have so many favorites there isn't room to list here.
I am new to this forum and look forward to exchanging info with fellow cheese lovers!

You just picked up 3 of my favorite cheeses! Enjoy!

Wineland Blue- Cheese made exclusively for Woolworths. It's devine!!!!!! Love it on lighty salted crackers with capers. Yum! It's got the texture of a ripened Brie. Creamy, nutty and strong but not over powering flavour. It's my new favourite for sure!

Speaking of blue cheese, here's a wonderful artery-clogging potato salad of mine that is frequently requested:

"Breezy Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds thin-skinned waxy white potatoes
Approx. 1/2 to 1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion (depending on how much you like onion) - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
One 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Approx. 1 cup or more to taste crumbled blue cheese + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish (any favorite firm blue cheese will work)
Approx. 1 teaspoon salt
Approx. 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Approx. 1 teaspoon paprika
Chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into bite-size chunks/slices and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese & parsley and refrigerate until ready to serve.

(I doubled the above recipe for a large platter I recently brought to a tailgate party. The above "as is" would probably serve anywhere from 6 to 8 people depending on what else you were serving and how much they like blue cheese. Simply multiply accordingly.)

Back
Top Bottom