"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Gjetost--with a tart apple, or grated and melted in venison/beef gravy, or, most recently, grated on top of poutine made with the beef-cream-lingonberry-gjetost gravy

Oka on a fresh baquette

Jarlsberg--makes a great grilled cheese sandwich

Asaigo

Provolone

A good swiss

Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now I'm loving aged gouda shaved onto a slice of homemade foccacia. So many cheeses that I love love my trips to the store I come home with a different type of cheese. Racelette,,dry jack,parmesan, asiago, chevre, feta,fontina,swiss,There are so many more but the names have slipped my mind.
kades

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

With anyone watching the fat & calories in cheese....laughing cow cheese is a great alternative. 1 wedge only has 35 calories, it's great on a toasted bagel with strawberry jam.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #64
Master Chef

I found a really nice Mascarpone with pecan nuts and figs :) Yummy with melba toast!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Being a hard-core cheeselover, I have a list of cheeses & comments back on my old computer that need to be transferred by dear hubby to my new computer. But off the top of my point little head:

Brie - While of course I enjoy the imported brands, our local Wegmans offers a wonderful Brie packaged by wedge under their own name & in 3 different scales of ripeness - "mild", "buttery", "earthy". "Buttery" & "Earthy" are my two favorites, & spreading their wonderful ooziness on a "Stoned Wheat Thin" cracker is a true pleasure.

Any Blue - from Gorgonzola (dolce is my favorite) to Maytag, tossed into salads or served with perfectly ripe sliced pears & a glass of ruby port.

Gruyere - sliced with crackers, used in any number of sauces, or allowed to show itself in a delicious wine-spiked fondue.

Hot Pepper Cheese - yes, yes, I know it's "processed", but sometimes I really do get a hankering for heat-spiked cheese, & we have quite a few very good brands available around here. On crackers or melted into natchos - sometimes it just really hits the spot.

Feta - while I frequently buy the supermarket types, I also frequently splurge & order the real barrel-aged stuff, to which the supermarket brands can't compare. Tossed into salads, into sauteed spinach, into Spanokopeta, Greek shrimp dishes, etc., etc. I LOVE feta.

Goat Cheeses - have yet to meet one I haven't loved. From aged Gouda types to the soft & creamy ones that are perfect for stuffing into chicken breasts.

There are dozens of others, but these are the ones most often found in my fridge.
Mmmm. I make a great Blue Cheese, Pear and Walnut Pasta. It can't be beat!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatLoveMove View Post
Mmmm. I make a great Blue Cheese, Pear and Walnut Pasta. It can't be beat!
Oh, if possible, could you please post the recipe? I have a blue cheese, pear and pecan salad that I make that I love and this sounds like something that would be just as good.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #67
Master Chef

A favorite cheese? You have to be kidding. I live in cheese-land, USA and I couldn't possibly choose. A few months ago we had a cheese platter at a local brew pub and really loved a couple of them. We talked to the owner, who said to go to Hook's in Mineral Point. Once the weather settled we took a road trip. We just happened to hit the cheese factory when they were open (making fresh cheese curds, very popular around here), and bought pounds of their various cheeses. But most fun was talking to the cheese makers. There are so many small, artisinal cheese makers in this part of the country, and we do this when we can. We can buy cheese aged for much longer than you can buy in the stores, we talk about who makes the best of this or that type of cheese, and then invite friends over to taste.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #68
Assistant Cook

New to the Forum - a Cheese Lover says Hello!

Just returned from my local cheese shop with a terrific Humboldt Fog chevre, a chunk of the best Gruyere, and a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. I have so many favorites there isn't room to list here.
I am new to this forum and look forward to exchanging info with fellow cheese lovers!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetcheese View Post
Just returned from my local cheese shop with a terrific Humboldt Fog chevre, a chunk of the best Gruyere, and a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. I have so many favorites there isn't room to list here.
I am new to this forum and look forward to exchanging info with fellow cheese lovers!
You just picked up 3 of my favorite cheeses! Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #70
Master Chef

Wineland Blue- Cheese made exclusively for Woolworths. It's devine!!!!!! Love it on lighty salted crackers with capers. Yum! It's got the texture of a ripened Brie. Creamy, nutty and strong but not over powering flavour. It's my new favourite for sure!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, other