"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Fried Eggs

Do you think that the temperature of the eggs themselves.. before frying effects the finished product as in just out of the fridge or room temp etc.

Not looking for recipes nor how to suggestions..just your thoughts on the egg temperature prior to frying........

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Master Chef
Bob, I Googled "perfect fried egg", and didn't find anything that mentioned whether the egg should be room temperature or out of the fridge.
I have noticed that a lot of TV chefs take them out of a bowl on the counter, but that may be merely for esthetic purposes.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Head Chef
As always, I'm no expert! I fill a bowl with hotish tap water and put the eggs in it while the bacon or grits are cooking. Eggs cook pretty quickly and it does seem to me that whether they hit the pan or 40 or 80 degrees does make a difference.
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef
I've only ever used refrigerated eggs, and they come out great. I think much of how your fried eggs turns out has to do with the temperature of the pan and probably the type of pan as well. I use a non stick skillet with just a tad of canolla and a tad of butter.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Master Chef
I also use eggs right out of the fridge with terrific results. Lots & lots of butter & a medium temp seems to work best for me. The temp of the eggs doesn't seem to make a difference.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Senior Cook
You know Bob, now that you mention it - and this isn't helpful at all, and I recognize that - I have seen some mention somewhere about having the eggs at room temperature - but I don't know what they were making!

But just that fact makes me wonder if it makes a difference. Mine are alway straight out of the fridge, so I have no idea.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
I don't think it makes much of a difference. There is not a lot of mass to eggs so when they hit a pan that's 300 F on the surface the egg's temperature will shoot up fast. Whether it starts at 40 F or 80 F wouldn't make much of a difference.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #8
Head Chef
I am the world's worst egg fryer, I can bake and cook most things I try very well, an my scrambled and poached egggs are very good, but i just stink at fried eggs, i have no idea why. What I do know is, I find it (psychologically?) easier with a room temp egg!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Sous Chef
I don't think it makes any difference for a fried egg. The heat transfer is pretty immediate. But the temp of the fat is REAL important--not too hot or you get that hard,bubbly white!!
Room temp eggs are important in baking which is where I hear that proviso most.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I have been using the "skilletlicker method" (above) for several months now...Keeping in mind I only eat eggs on Saturday mornings...these are not scientific findings....Everything else being equal...starting with "cold" eggs vs. warm/room temp eggs I notice no difference in taste...the texture of the whites seem to be softer/more tender with the warm eggs...they cook a wee bit faster having no tendency to sticking....This morning when I broke the first egg in the bowl...I did not like the look of the yolk..so out it went...broke the other one and it was fine...broke one out of the fridge...and it was fine...SO I had two eggs ...1 warmed...1 just out of the fridge...slid both of them into the pan..let them set..gave a couple of shakes and a flip...perfect! At the table I "think" I could tell a slight difference in the white texture/etc...maybe just an old man's mind playing tricks....

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote