"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Why not just use real butter? And as far as salt, use just a little and see how you like it. Then increase as desired.

I actually came pretty close to being a grill cook at WH, but then took a job paying twice as much.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...There should be no brown on the edges. Eggs should be yellow and white.

Cooking them until they brown around the edges takes too long. As a result, the "goo" has solidified (overcooked).
For myself, I disagree. I fry my eggs on medium high heat in a little pool of butter. I fry them until the white is all cooked and the edge is crispy, but the yolk is still runny. I can get them that way every time now - (no hit's or misses, but it took some practice). For me, that's a perfectly fried egg. It's all a matter of temperature control and butter, not grease.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Why not just use real butter? And as far as salt, use just a little and see how you like it. Then increase as desired.

I actually came pretty close to being a grill cook at WH, but then took a job paying twice as much.
I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

My chlorestoral numbers are good, so i figured eggs are OK, especially if i can avoid butter and salt.

And I've thought about trying to get a part time job as a short order cook at Waffle House, just so I could learn to cook. I've looked all over for classes, but there are none locally, except for a full blown culinary program at the local community colleges.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
Cook

if you get a part time job at a waffle house the first thing they will teach you is to make eggs using BUTTER ... lol

isnt the egg yolk just as bad ?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

love my eggs over easy then put them on the toast and break the yokes.

another favorite is fried eggs in butter- yoke just done and then put mayo on 2 slices of bread and put the eggs in . "fried egg sandwhich" mmmmmmm
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

i have learned to NEVER crack eggs on the edge of anything because you force shards into the crack and risk breaking the yolk or eating shells. i also find it difficult to pry the shell open when cracked on the edge. instead put down a paper napkin or towel on a flat surface and bring down the egg on the flat surface then just pull apart. when i am making fried eggs i put the uncracked eggs into a large bowl next to the stove and crack on the flat surface of the inside side of the bowl and then place shells into the bowl and dump out when done. or if only making 2 eggs i crack both into a small bowl and slide them into the pan. i use a non stick pan and butter. for sunny eggs just melt butter on high add the eggs and turn heat off, just swirl the eggs around for about a 1/2 minute or until set the way you like them. rememeber if they are cooked till done in the pan they will be over cooked on the plate. i do the same for over easy except i cook on first side fire on till white is set soft then turn off heat, flip swirl a bit then slide out.

we don't do sunny but here are 2 shots of over easy with runny yolks for dipping (i LOVE dipping eggs!!)

in the first pic the biscuits and potatoes are a bit well done (tasted great!!) but the eggs were perfectly cooked (i hate brown eggs).
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

I would worry more about preservatives, additives, etc than the moderate use of real butter. But I suppose you should do what your doctor tells you to do. But if you eat most of your meals out, don't you think they are using butter in the preparation of the food? By cooking for yourself you can regulate the amount of butter (or anything else) that goes into it!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Head Chef

And what does dipping eggs mean?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Cook

Even if there is a problem with eggs, doesn't adding butter just compound that?

And the whole idea of wanting to learn how to cook is so I can eat better.

And dipping eggs is when you dip your toast into a runny yolk.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
And what does dipping eggs mean?
meant dipping(usually bread) IN eggs

Tags
None