"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
I guess I'm a little afraid of butter. I'm borderline hypertensive, about 75lbs overweight, and had a scare with a possible congestive heart failure diagnosis about a year ago. It turned out I didn't have it, but you can only slap the bull so many times before your luck runs out. I eat most of my meals out, and I like all the things that are bad for me and none of the things that are good for me. The only healthy thing I do is not eat mammals, and that's because i feel sorry for them, not due to any health consciousness. I want to do better.

My chlorestoral numbers are good, so i figured eggs are OK, especially if i can avoid butter and salt...
With all the cholesterol and sat fat in the eggs, a pat of butter is not going to tip the scales against you. Use real butter, you won't need a lot.

Salt will make a huge difference in the taste of the eggs. Try a little once you plate the eggs.

I'd tell you to keep practicing with changes in the salt and butter levels, cooking temperatures etc. but you shouldn't be eating all that many eggs each week.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
Even if there is a problem with eggs, doesn't adding butter just compound that?

I think adding eggs to butter would make compound butter.

Seriously though, it is my personal opinion that no one thing will make you unhealthy, but that we should strive to eat things that are as close to the garden or hoof as possible. The more processing that takes place with the food that we eat, the harder it is for our bodies to process. That said I know it would be very difficult to use entirely natural, raw food to prepare all of our meals. But I think we can maintain a balance, and still enjoy some things we love in moderation. I myself am about where you are (75 lbs overweight) so I can identify. But my BP, cholesterol, etc are all in check so I guess I don't worry about it. But as I approach 40, I think I need to make some lifestyle changes for my long term health. The problem is that I love to cook!

Edit: I am not a dietician, nutrionist, doctor, etc. So take my words with a grain of salt. Or for those with high BP, maybe some fresh ground pepper.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
Master Chef

i personally i like poached eggs - no buttered addeto cook and lots of yolk to dip in so long as you don't over cook them.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
Cupcake

Waffle House!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i personally i like poached eggs - no buttered addeto cook and lots of yolk to dip in so long as you don't over cook them.

Yes, but you don't often see poached eggs at the Waffle House. :)

I love Waffle House! I'm sure they serve up heart-attacks on a plate, but somethings are just too yummy to change. I have few vices, so plan to keep eggs fried in butter among them. I'll take a few Omega-3 fish oil pills after eating to compensate.

~Kathleen
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
Master Chef

There are a lot of good sugestions here. The only thing I would like to add is do not fry eggs straight from the fridge. They should be room temp when you start frying them. Then the white part will cook faster and the yolk will still be runny.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post

I love Waffle House! I'm sure they serve up heart-attacks on a plate, but somethings are just too yummy to change. I have few vices, so plan to keep eggs fried in butter among them. I'll take a few Omega-3 fish oil pills after eating to compensate.

~Kathleen
My favorite thing at WH is their hashbrowns all the way.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
My favorite thing at WH is their hashbrowns all the way.
*whispers* smothered, diced, peppered and capped...make it large and extra crispy please.

~Kathleen
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:

~Kathleen
ithink you can get them poached if you ask. personally we have done alot of traveling and we went to 2 WH over the years in different parts of the country and the food stunk. i would also like to add denny's to that list of place we didn't like. sorry people
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

fried eggs

I save all my bacon grease to fry my eggs in, the flavor can't be beat. Medium heat works fine for me. Also fried potato's are the best fried in bacon grease.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
*whispers* smothered, diced, peppered and capped...make it large and extra crispy please.

~Kathleen
You forgot covered, chunked, and topped!

Tags
None