"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 01-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Fry eggs with potatoes

hi friends:last day I tryed fry an egg with potatoes but I make something new,I tryed make it like a cake where potatoes will be under and the egg on,I try with the skin of potatoes because it give more taste to potatoes,and the egg on,I hot some oil in anothe pan and... while I clean the skin I observe than after, they dont join so when enter the egg it was impossible the potatoes for be cleaning they never make a cake.How can I make this cake of fryed potatoes and egg?.

mateix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Senior Cook
Hi Mateix! I've never done this, but give it a try. (Potatoes, and eggs are cheap) Grate the potatoes, (like "Hash browns") Mix them with beaten eggs, and fry in skillet, with a little oil. MAYBE that will make your "cake". Please tell us how it came out! I hope I helped! Atomic Jed!

Atomic Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Potatoe omelette

This sounds like a recipe for a potatoe omelette that is common in many spanish tapas bars. I'm sure you can find a more formal recipe if you search in google for the terms "tapas potatoe and egg".

Otherwise, the last time I made this was 1983. Start with a small cast iron skillet. I used a good amount of olive oil and sauteed the sliced potatoes with a little black pepper. For more flavor, also ad a bit of chopped onion. Then lightly beat an egg or two with some salt and pour over it. You can cover with a lid and allow it to set a bit.

Once set, carefully flip it over and brown. slide onto a plate and serve.
billhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook
The spanish tapas dish is called a tortilla. Here are what appear to be some good authentic recipes.

The only twist on these I would recommend is boiling your potatoes first until forked tender and then chilling overnight. A chilled, cooked potato will slice better, saute better (crisper) and absorb less oil.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
Grate two potatoes and one onion. Mix them with beaten eggs and fry them in a pan. You can add a bit of sour cream when it's finished. This dish is called "Lithuanian pancake".
I'm not hungry, I'm not dying of thirst
Just suffering from a lover's curse
CucumberMan is offline   Reply With Quote