"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Master Chef

Gotta Share

My eldest daughter purchased for me, for Christmas, two kinds of cheese with which I'm very familiar, an aged gouda, and a sharp cheddar. She bought them on line and I have to tell you that they are among the best cheeses I've ever eaten. There is a young lady in our office who also loves cheese. I gave her a sample of each, plus the brand, type and site address for the cheeses.

I know we don't usually give out brand names here as we are not advertisers. But you have to take my word for it that these cheeses are for D.C. cheese aficionados. The cheddar isn't as salty as some, and doesn't have the little mineral crystals that I've come to love in aged cheddars. What it does have is a strong cheddar flavor that is wonderful, and a sharp bit like I have never had before. I ate too large a piece (the thickness of a Kraft single and about a three inch circle) and it cause a few taste buds on the tip of my tongue to swell from the high acidity. The tang is amazing. But this cheese is to be savored in small pieces.

The gouda is full flavored and ripened at least three years, I would guess, because it does have significant mineral crystallization (like bits of salt crystals) and a rich flavor.

If anyone wants to know what kind and what site, pm me and I'll share the info.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Everymom

Go ahead and post them GW. You have enough cred here that we know you aren't advertising.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe this would be a good place to ask: Several years ago I used to go to a meat market and I would buy a pound of their Swiss cheese as it was the same price as my supermarket.

This cheese was sliced so thin you could almost see through it, and it had the strongest flavor I've ever tasted. One thin slice is all you needed on a sandwich or it was just overpowering.

I never saw the actual block so I have no idea the name, but I would dearly love to get it again. Store bought, even deli Swiss doesn't seem to have much flavor at all.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

My family loves cheese and I'm always looking. I know we aren't supposed to advertise; however, I've always felt (and you know I've been here for years, and some of you know me from a previous web site), that recommendations are OK. So I'll plug one in here. The Gethsemani monastary in Kentucky make a wonderful aged cheese that my husband and father adore. Daddy claims that it tastes like a cheese his parents (his father was a Canuck cheesemaker) used to get from Canada when he was a kid.

There's a big difference between recommending a business and advertising it. And when it comes to cheese, these monks rock!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Go ahead and post them GW. You have enough cred here that we know you aren't advertising.
+1

for real. Don't be a cheese tease!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
+1

for real. Don't be a cheese tease!
Cheese teasing isn't nice! I got a nice chunk of Stilton today, have to share it with the cat!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

post it, gw.

i've got a hankerin'

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Dear Goodweed - please do post that source for really good cheeses. Need it for an out-of-state relative who knows her cheese and whose birthday is coming up very soon. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Master Chef

The site is Igourmet.com. They have a ton of stuff. The exceptional cheeses that I have tasted from them are the two I posted about and they are (both equally good): 1. Dorset Drum English Farmhouse Cheddar
2. Beemster Classic Extra Aged Gouda

And like Zhizara, I'm looking for a full-bodied Swiss. Igourmet has a whole selection of Swiss cheeses, also known as Ementela, or Ementeler cheese. I will have to try some of them out in my quest for that great flavor that I can't find in supermarkets.

You won't be disappointed by either of the two cheeses I've mentioned.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

The Cheddar is backordered!!! Oh my.. what to do.. what to do...

Thanks for the tip.

Tags
gourmet cheese, recipe

Gotta Share My eldest daughter purchased for me, for Christmas, two kinds of cheese with which I'm very familiar, an aged gouda, and a sharp cheddar. She bought them on line and I have to tell you that they are among the best cheeses I've ever eaten. There is a young lady in our office who also loves cheese. I gave her a sample of each, plus the brand, type and site address for the cheeses. I know we don't usually give out brand names here as we are not advertisers. But you have to take my word for it that these cheeses are for D.C. cheese aficionados. The cheddar isn't as salty as some, and doesn't have the little mineral crystals that I've come to love in aged cheddars. What it does have is a strong cheddar flavor that is wonderful, and a sharp bit like I have never had before. I ate too large a piece (the thickness of a Kraft single and about a three inch circle) and it cause a few taste buds on the tip of my tongue to swell from the high acidity. The tang is amazing. But this cheese is to be savored in small pieces. The gouda is full flavored and ripened at least three years, I would guess, because it does have significant mineral crystallization (like bits of salt crystals) and a rich flavor. If anyone wants to know what kind and what site, pm me and I'll share the info. Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews