"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Jennyemma; Living close enough to you to make that French Toast would be great. It is probably a good thing we are seperated by great distance, as my own daughters are co creative and wonderful cooks that I am almost overwhelmed by the richness of foods available in my home, or at my eldest daughter's home. If we lived near each other, I would be spending so much time playing in the kitchen, I'd never get anything else done. Cooking is fun and is an extraordinary way to amuse oneself, especially if you have someone else nearby who is passionate about food.

I already spend too much time on the subject. I sometimes imagine myself in a huge field, with all of my DC freinds around, each of us with good barbecues and cooking equipment, putting on a feed at some grand festival for the lucky community around us. That would be so much fun. Too bad I'm not Bill Gates, with virtually unlimited resources. It woud then be more than just a dream.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Gruyere is great as one of the cheeses in a 3-4 cheese mac and cheese (homemade) or in a savory bread pudding. Great in a sandwich with ham.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
I saw some recipe in a book for stuffed chicken breasts, that had gruyere stuffed in there, with spinach and hazelnuts. But im not too fond of those ingredients, maybe i can find another stuffed chicken breast recipe for it? Hopefully someone will chime in.
MMMMMM... I stuff chicken breasts with gruyere, baby spinach and prociutto and serve with a mushroom sauce.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

Have I missed someone already saying this? Gruyere and Emmenthal are traditional topping for French onion soup. I cheat when I make mine -- slice some good hearthy baguettes, cover with the cheese and broil. Husband makes the soup, and we just plop the slices of cheese covered baguette into the bowl. But pretty much what you'd use swiss for. I, too, use it in stuffed chicken (or turkey, veal or pork loin cutlets) with some sort of good thin sliced ham and a sage leaf if I have it in the garden.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
Head Chef

Gruyère is also excellent for omelettes. Mix fresh minced herbs (parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil) into the eggs, then add a handful of shredded Gruyere just before you roll it up and onto the warm plate.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

I often use guyere for savory breadpudding, adding onions, garlic and sometimes ham or bacon.

Tags
None