"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

Sattie I can't believe you've never had a quiche. I make this recipe at least once a month and you can add so many different variations to it. I prefer the 'swiss' with it and have also changed it using sausage, bacon, tomatoes, chopped fresh spinach, or whatever is in the fridge.
Great recipe. I can't wait to hear how you liked your first 'quiche'!

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

I just had a quiche for brunch... used sauteed onions, diced ham (leftover), frozen spinach (quick thawed under water, squeezed dry, chopped),combination of shredded cheddar and an Italian blend (was leftover, in the fridge)...
mmm...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Cook View Post
Sattie I can't believe you've never had a quiche. I make this recipe at least once a month and you can make many variations to it. I prefer the 'swiss' with it but have used sausage, bacon, tomatoes, chopped fresh spinach, or whatever is in the fridge.
Great recipe. I can't wait to hear how you liked your first 'quiche'!
Sad to say.... never had a quiche, or if I did, I had no clue I was eating one. But it does sound wonderful... specially since you can taylor it to your liking. I'm looking forward to bakin one up for myself!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sounds yummy Wyogal. With whatever you decide to add, just be sure that it is not something that contains liquid. Like you said, "squeese dry" the spinach. It will definitely ruin the quiche.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

I use the 'bagged' fresh spinach leaves you get in the salad aisles..... Just chop up a of the leaves and it works well.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Fresh Spinach works great.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Sattie: For the best (not the easiest) crust, use pate brise. It bakes up so good I even use it for my fruit pies.

Food Processor Method

1 3/4 C Flour,
8 Tbsp COLD Butter,
1/4 tsp Salt,
6 - 8 Tbsp ICE Water

In the processor wiz the flour and salt; add Butter in small pieces and process 10 seconds, pulsing on and off. Add water, starting with 5 Tbsp and pulse. Add additional water as needed and process till dough forms ball on top of blade. By hand work into a ball and wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. Roll out while cold, place in pie tin or quiche form. Line with non-stick foil and dry beans or crust weights. Prebake 10 min at 350F, then fill and bake your quiche whenever you want. A little more work, but worth it.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

This sounds good - I might try this Sunday with some of my leftover ham. I usually make an asparagus/swiss & bacon quiche that even my picky husband will eat. I love quiche and fritatta type dishes.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Sattie: For the best (not the easiest) crust, use pate brise. It bakes up so good I even use it for my fruit pies.

Food Processor Method

1 3/4 C Flour,
8 Tbsp COLD Butter,
1/4 tsp Salt,
6 - 8 Tbsp ICE Water

In the processor wiz the flour and salt; add Butter in small pieces and process 10 seconds, pulsing on and off. Add water, starting with 5 Tbsp and pulse. Add additional water as needed and process till dough forms ball on top of blade. By hand work into a ball and wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. Roll out while cold, place in pie tin or quiche form. Line with non-stick foil and dry beans or crust weights. Prebake 10 min at 350F, then fill and bake your quiche whenever you want. A little more work, but worth it.
I was thinking of doing this since I don't buy pie crusts. Thanks DtheB!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
Senior Cook

JustMeToo, do you prebake your pie crust?

I made this today and had a bit of trouble with sogginess. Not bad - just not quite as firm as I wanted it to be, even baking it an extra 10 minutes.

I put the crust in a 10" quiche dish. I put the chopped ham in on top of the crust, then put in some sauteed peppers, onions, and garlic (well drained), then a layer of very thin slices of zucchini and topped with 2 handfuls of shredded cheese. I mixed the 5 eggs and 1 c milk, and s&p and poured all over the veggies, ham, and cheese and baked at 350 for a total of 60 minutes (after checking at 45 & 55 minutes and it was not knife-clean in the middle). I let it "set" at room temp for about an hour before cutting it.

Just wondered if you have any tips for getting it to set up "firmer" - in case it matters we are at about 3500' elevation... ?

Tags
None