Hard cheese rind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
What to do with hard cheese rinds like those of parmegiano reggiano? I remember coming across a good use for these as an ingredient for cooking but can't for the life of me recall what it was. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

As I only recently learned from Urmaniac, the rind can be added to things like a pot of beans to add richness and flavor. I'm sure she'll put her two-cents' worth in shortly to give you a broader understanding of its uses, however!

I save my pieces of parm and when I make minestrone or any veggie soup, I put the pieces in to soften and we eat them along with the soup. They give soup or beans a nice rich flavor..My kids each expect a piece when we have minestrone:)

kadesma

Am with kadesma, definitely minestrone. Was wondering what to make today. Mmmm.

oh man, escarole e fagiole with a softened hunk of parm rind...

it's mine...get away, yes all of it. mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.

hehehehehehe, slurp. ahhhhhhhhhh.

I use a fine mesh grater and shred it, then sprinkle it in garlic bread before baking them.

Great ideas so far! Now I seem to remember it was Minestrone that one can add the rinds to. So glad I've been collecting those rinds! Thanks people!
:-D

I collect the Hard Cheese Rinds and then when I am cooking something I add them to the dish. I have used them in soups and the flavor is great.

As others have also mentioned, I save my hard Italian cheese rinds & add them to various soups - Escarole & Bean, Minestrone, Vegetarian Vegetable, Chicken Vegetable - you name it.

Just keep in mind that if you're adding a large piece of rind to taste before salting, as the rind does add salt.

Minestrone is the classic, but I also throw them in large batches of risotto, and preety much anything that could benefit from a deeper background taste but not so much grated cheese!

Yes, indeed a rind from Parmigiano is a wonderful flavour booster for brothes (especially for risotto), my initial suggestion to Ayrton was for Pasta e Fagioli. It is indeed a wonderful addition to this classic Italian comfort food. These days I can't believe I used to simply toss that stuff in rubbish!!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom