"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Master Chef

Has anyone else tasted Balderson, Heritage Cheddar

Has anyone else in this august group of food lovers tried Balderson, Heritage Cheddars? They have one many awards, both in Canada and internationally for this line of cheeses. And no, I don't work for them. I just am a big fan. I've purchased and eaten the 2 year, 3 year, and 5 year aged varieties and fell in love. There is a guy in Wisconsin that makes cheese as good, but I don't know the company. I received some from a freind who, like me works in the telecom industry, out of Marquette, Michigan. His brother makes the cheese.

My only problem with both of these cheeses is availability of the product. I have to go to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario for the Balderson, and have little to no access for the Wisconsin cheese. Nothing available, including Tillamook, even comes close.

It's a sad thing when you've tasted the perfect cheddar, and have none available. But for any of you who can get it, well, that's a good thing indeed.

I can get a 5-year aged cheddar in my town, but it has a bitter finish. My eldest daughter loves it. She's a lucky girl. She can get what she loves locally.

If cheddar isn't your thing, who else has tasted something grand that just isn't available to them due to location, and what was that something?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, Goodweed, you have just hit on one of my most favourite delights in this whole wide world! Balderson cheddars are tops in my book. I was recently able to purchase the 6 year old at Costco (so good sized blocks ) on sale so I got one for each of my events and one for us. Unfortunately it is all gone now, though I do purchase the 3 and five every once in awhile. I use it in my gourmet mac and cheese as well as just savouring a nibble every chance I can get.

If you ever get a chance to try the six you will NOT be disappointed.

Want me to FedEx you some?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Master Chef

Let me know the price so I can send you a check. I've really got to get my enhanced Michigan drivers license so I can cross the border again. I really don't like it that I can't cross so easily as I could just last year. I consider all of us in the North American continent to be one people. I know that there are differences in our governments, but not in us ordinary folks. But then, that's a conversation for a different thread.

Thanks for the offer.

I wonder what it would take to get our local stores to import Balderson Heritage cheeses. Maybe if I give a store manager a slice, hmmmm...

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Dying to try 6 year

Hi.

I'm located in Pennsylvania and I have been trying to get Parmalat to sell 6 year cheddar more in the USA. Alas, they don't seem too interested.

I've wanted to try it but was never able to get up to Canada to get some. My understanding is that they have lots available every so many years.

The 5 year is available at the local grocer and is rather delicious but I've always wanted to try the 6.

~PK
Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
There is a guy in Wisconsin that makes cheese as good, but I don't know the company.
Carr Valley!!! So good. I drive 250 miles just to be able to pick it out (and many others) myself. Fresh, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 and 15 year.

Carr Valley Cheese Company, Inc., La Valle, Wisconsin

Here is the good thing, they have an e-store!!

I just was up there two weeks ago and got off cheap at $140. Yes, I buy a lot of cheese.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It might be Carr Valley, but it might be any one of a number of fabulous artisan cheesemakers working in Wisconsin these days.

Growing up in Chicago, with the ubiquitous yellow cheddar and Colby that came from Wisconsin, I am absolutely in awe of the amazing cheeses being made there now. Everything from Appenzeller to (can't think of one that starts with Z roght now)!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Better than Tillamook? Oh, I have got to try this. Tillamook is our favorite, hands down. I can't imagine anything better!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I know this thread is now REALLY old and basically dead but I have to add one last comment of grief.

The Balderson 5 year cheddar used to be sold by our local Giant Grocery store...alas, no more. The store manager swore he'd try to get some more in but he never followed through...so now I can't get any Balderson cheddar.

As for the Carr Valley brand, they do have some nice cheeses. I like their one called "bread cheese." It's nice warmed up with a dopple of jam or honey.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Here is a link to another excellent cheddar, for those mourning the loss of Balderson in their stores.
Dorset Drum English Farmhouse Cheddar: Buy Dorset Drum English Farmhouse Cheddar Online at igourmet.com
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'd like to add my recommendation for Montgomery's Farmhouse Cheddar from England. It is the best of the best for artisanal, farmstead cheese.
You can get it from igourmet.com

Tags
None