"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Master Chef

I went to the link you posted, Margi and found the recipe. What I see in the pictures actually looks very close to what I make. The store bought ricotta, seems to me, has different texture. Maybe it is the process that makes the difference in ricotta or farmer's cheese. Though I hve used both lemon juice and the sour cram or yogurt as a starter.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Master Chef

Blintzes, Bill, you are teasing me. Right now before Passover there is no time to make them. Too much cleaning. Maybe after Passover i will have to make some.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Margi. I recently found a recipe for Ricotta in a magazine, but haven't got around to trying it. But your recipe sounds like it would make a much nicer cheese. Plus, this whole thread has been quite informative!

Now I'm eager to see if I can find some fresh whole milk to buy. There's quite a few farms around here and several little "farmer's markets". From what I've read here in this thread, I think I would get a much nicer cheese with fresh milk than what I would from store-bought milk.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
Executive Chef

@ Vanitas and @ Charlie: Thanks for feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Margi. I recently found a recipe for Ricotta in a magazine, but haven't got around to trying it. But your recipe sounds like it would make a much nicer cheese. Plus, this whole thread has been quite informative!

Now I'm eager to see if I can find some fresh whole milk to buy. There's quite a few farms around here and several little "farmer's markets". From what I've read here in this thread, I think I would get a much nicer cheese with fresh milk than what I would from store-bought milk.

@ Vanitas,

Just use regular whole milk ... do not bother with organic ... Steve is correct ... it changes the milk texture ... Normal quality products ...

@ Charlie,

Happy Holidays.

The texture of my ricotta, is NOT cottage cheesey ... NO !
As you have mentioned, it is more on the Farmerīs Cheese texture, however just a wee wee bit less pastey ...

REQUESON in Spain is Farmerīs Cheese and manufactured Ricotta is quite different, yet still both have a pastey and spreadable texture --- unlike Cottage cheese which is curdy --- and quite wet ...

My recipe: is not wet, nor humid ... More like the Farmerīs Cheese, however just a wee wee bit less pastey ... Delectable for Focaccia Filled Oven Baked by Scratch Bread ...

Just perfect for filling manicotti !! and baking in oven ... great lunch for tomorrow ...

Thanks for all the posts.
Margi.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
Master Chef

fresh, aka raw milk is a whole another story. I wish I could find some too.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
Master Chef

The ricotta ere is totally different than farmer's cheese, at least the brand I buy. Ricotta is actually more like cotage chees than farmer's cheese.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Vanitas,

Just use regular whole milk ... do not bother with organic ... Steve is correct ... it changes the milk texture ... Normal quality products ...
Whoops! Sorry, I meant fresh farm milk - right from the cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The ricotta ere is totally different than farmer's cheese, at least the brand I buy. Ricotta is actually more like cotage chees than farmer's cheese.
Same here. I did a quick Google on the Requeson cheese that Margi mentioned and yes, it absolutely looks like Ricotta. I'm thinking it's just a regional thing, because the farmer's cheese I get around me is a fairly firm block cheese and nothing like Ricotta. That being said, I would relate Ricotta to a "pressed together Cottage Cheese, minus the liquid".

I had no idea cheeses were so different around the world. I'm still learning from this thread!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Blintzes, Bill, you are teasing me. Right now before Passover there is no time to make them. Too much cleaning. Maybe after Passover i will have to make some.
Chag Sameach to you and yours CD.
When I was a child my Mum had a house cow so farmers cheese was on the table more than butter. I cant get raw cows milk but I can get goats to make the cheese.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Chag Sameach to you and yours CD.
When I was a child my Mum had a house cow so farmers cheese was on the table more than butter. I cant get raw cows milk but I can get goats to make the cheese.
Goats that make cheese? That sounds like some very talented goats.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #30
Executive Chef

The reason my parents got a house cow was because I and my two brothers caught undulent fever from raw infected milk. It happened 50 yrs ago and my memory of it is still vivid, I would not wish it on anyone.

Tags
homemade