Heavy cream, what to make with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Friend of mine brought me half a gallon of heavy cream. It is thick, like sour cream or even thicker. It is fresh, straight from farm. I'm drawing a blank. What should I make with it?
Help me with ideas.

Also I was going to post this from the phone but was not able to. What was doing wrong?

Check out recipes for double cream and you find a lot and you can also make clotted cream with it.

The recipe forums require you to specify whether the thread is a recipe, but there is no way to do that on the app - only on the website.

Aha, good, so I am not completely dumb. It kept asking me that, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. ;)

Ways to use cream (I easily go through about a quart a week just by myself):

• Make homemade sour cream
  • Make homemade ice cream
  • Make homemade butter
  • Add a splash to your scrambled eggs
  • Add a little to mashed potatoes
  • Add it to your egg nog
  • Add it to your coffee
  • Add it to pan sauces and gravies
  • My personal favorite: White Russians (before you ask, Charlie, it's a drink - has nothing to do with actual Russians)

Last edited:
home made ice cream
Horseradish cream sauce
Ganache/ make your own cake
a dollop on top of bowls of your good borscht instead of sour cream

Caramels for the holidays:

img_1493097_0_a5682015f5ec5db086af2492846e0152.jpg

img_1493097_1_c99ab9426c4a83bf2f4c63d93ec5569e.jpg

Friend of mine brought me half a gallon of heavy cream. It is thick, like sour cream or even thicker. It is fresh, straight from farm. I'm drawing a blank. What should I make with it?
Help me with ideas.

Also I was going to post this from the phone but was not able to. What was doing wrong?
Ice cream (no need to use eggs if you are working with soft fruit such as strawberries). Not only yummy but saves and stores the cream.

You can also pipe whipped cream decorations onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick parchment and freeze them. Store in Freezer in a box and use to decorate cakes, trifles, etc., placing them while still frozen and allowing to thaw in situe.

Be careful whipping it as it can go to butter very quickly. (Still not wasted though)

Back
Top Bottom