"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-31-2005, 06:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I think someone posted a condensed milk recipe on this site. It made quite a lot. I have one that makes a smaller amount. Mine calls for 1 cup powdered milk - 2/3 cup sugar - 1/4 to 1/3 cup boiling water - 3 tablespoons butter or margarine. Blend all in blender and process until smooth and thick. Refrigerate. Makes 1 1/4 cup (same as 14 oz can of condensed milk). Also, if you look in the ethnic part of your grocery store, you can find condensed milk at a much lower price than the name brands. I haven't bought a name brand in years.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Thank you licia for the recipe, I think I will use yours. I will print it out.
Again, thank you very much.
Sandy

Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Executive Chef

canned products dop have a shelf life, and if the milk comes out separated or lumpy...it should not be used. But tan and smooth is generally fine. The other won't kill you, but why ruin a recipe.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Robo 410

Robo,
Thank you, I needed to have that information. I haven't worked that much with condensed milk. As it was my fudge turned out runny and had to throw it away, so threw out the other can of milk. I think they were too old. Bought fresh cans and they worked 100% better. Thank you so much for that information.

Sandy
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

Hm, I donít know about that, have never run across condensed milk that was too old. Even the outdated ones, that are maybe even a year or more pass due date work and taste just fine. And to throw it away is a total waste. It taste soooo good in coffee, or in black tea,mmm
Old 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
I think there is a recipe on the food network web site for making your own sweetened condensed milk.
Try these:

Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute for Diabetics Recipe #143017
http://www.recipezaar.com/143017

Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute for Ordinary folks.
http://www.copykat.com/asp/emailrecipe.asp?recipe=320

Here is a wonderful page, all about subtitutes:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Dairyoth.html
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

CharlieD,
One can was really thick and was more sticky than regualar scondenced M. I used that for some fudge. It made the fudge really sticky and on the runny side, it did not thicken. The other can that I threw out had hardened along the sides and was on its way to turning black and it had thickened to hardness until it cracked in the middle. So threw it out. I work with food enough to know how to can and dehydrate and somewhat about milks, but haven't used that much sweetened condensed milk in my cooking. So didn't want to take any chances. Wheat stores forever. Most can goods have about a 5 year shelf life. I teach about food storage and have done so in many areas of the United States, but that canned milk could have been over 20 years old or maybe over 10 years old and didn't want to risk it. Rice is hard to store, but you can, it is more likely to turn rancid. I can in #10 cans (super large ones). Plus I do home canning. I was raised on a farm and was taught to can foods in the good years against the lean or bad years. This milk just didn't look right to me. That's why I asked about it. Just some trivia: You can can books and games and important papers to prevent destruction. You can actually can articles of clothing except for big and bulky items like coats or jackets or blankets...although you can do the emergency blankets that you can buy from Wal-Mart. You can do photoes also. Great to know in case of flooding or fire.
Sandy
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Vegetarian recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolous View Post
Thank you licia for the recipe, I think I will use yours. I will print it out.
Again, thank you very much.
Sandy
Does anyone have any terrific recipes for vegetarians?
Thanks,
Sandy

Tags
None