"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Head Chef
Homemade butter

I tried making homemade butter yesterday and it never "clumped" or "chunked". This is the recipe I used (Emerils). Anyone have any hints?

I used heavy whipping cream, very cold and a glass jar that was also very cold. My daughter, niece, and I shook it for 25 minutes. We just ended up with thick cream.

1 pint heavy cream, very cold
Pinch salt, optional

Find a large jar with a tight-fitting lid that will hold the cream about half full. Refrigerate the jar for at least 1 hour. Pour the cream into the cold jar. Tightly secure the lid and shake as hard as possible until chunks of butter start to form, 15 to 30 minutes. Pour into a strainer set over a bowl. The chunks in the strainer are butter, and the liquid in the bowl is buttermilk.

Pour the buttermilk into a clean container, cover, refrigerate, and reserve for another use. Turn the butter into a clean bowl and cover with very cold water. Pour into a strainer, discarding the liquid. Continue rinsing the butter with very cold water until the water runs clear. (The cloudy water is buttermilk which will make the butter turn sour.) When the butter is clean, work with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to press out any remaining liquid. Discard this liquid. If desired, add salt to the butter. (Salted butter will keep longer.)

Transfer the butter to a clean container for keeping, pressing with a wooden spoon or spatula to dispel any air bubbles. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
My son has done this in pre-school and it turned out great every time. Half a jar full sounds like too much heavy cream though. When his class did it they filled the jars no more than 1/4 full.

spiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Executive Chef
When we made butter from heavy cream, we were told to leave the cream on the counter for a few hours - then shake. It turned out well.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
15-30 minutes does not sound like enough time to me. I would say more like 30-45 minutes. It could take less time, but I always remember shaking for quite a while.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Master Chef
I have made butter in my Kitchenaid and all you do is just keep whirling it till it comes together.

Could it be that your jar wasn't completely clean?
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
ahhh.......when growing up my dad made this silly contrraption to make butter, and I know we werent there for just 30 minutes....it seemed to take forever...if it was even a little runny we had to shake more....wonder if we were bad before that...hmmmm
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~ Stephen Wright
tancowgirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
Ultrapasteurized cream?

I wonder if you were using ultrapasteurized cream or regular pasteurized cream? I'm told that ultrapasteurized doesn't whip very well. The high heat it is subjected to damages the cream in many ways.
aradiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I believe the problem with the butter not making, is the temperature. The cream should be at room temperature. And 15 to 20 minutes of shaking should be enough time. Fill the jar not quite half full. Every few minutes while shaking, unscrew the jar lid to release the pressure and rescrew lid. Shake until the cream separates into butter and buttermilk.
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jennyema
I have made butter in my Kitchenaid and all you do is just keep whirling it till it comes together.

Could it be that your jar wasn't completely clean?
A kitchen aid or hand blender is the way to go. No point in shaking a bottle for that long just for butter.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Master Chef
I did it by accident a few times... beat the cream to long on hot summer days.. works very well when a thunderstorm went through...
but always with an eletric mixer...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote