Homemade cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We made it quite some time ago. I used a thermophyllic starter instead of the rennet and citric acid. It came out wonderful - and I used the whey that was leftover to make ricotta. The lasagna was made with home made pasta, home made chesses, home made italian sausage, and homemade sauce made with home grown tomatoes and herbs. Wow. We even had home made chevre for an appetizer. Yum!

It was a good deal of work, but if I had the space to do it again I would. :)

Making Mozz is one of those things I've been promising myself to make for years!!! Sharon, I hope I remember to get a hold of you when I finally do, for some more hints! ;)

If you have a "home brewing" or winemaking store nearby they should have the starter - there are also some sites on line that carry them. I didn't bring my cheese making book to the boat but I know where my cookbook are in storage.:)

I just bought a cheese making book and intend to start working my way through. Wish me luck..!:)

Good Luck!!

I have several cheesemaking books and use them a lot. I only make soft cheeses because I do not have the right conditions to make hard cheeses.....I make a LOT of soft cheeses, am currently making 4 cheeses a week, during this peak milking season. It is great fun and the cheeses are the best!

Don't forget to report in with your progress....

Back
Top Bottom