Homemade sour cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
My yungun went to the store for me last month and bought a quart of heavy cream thinking he was buying the cream on top milk. He had a glass and didn't like the taste so pushed the bottle to the back of the shelf. I came across it this week and it is solid! The use-by date on the bottle is Jan 22. It smells like the stuff you buy in the tubs at the store and has the same consistency. Is it okay to use as "sour cream" or should I pitch it?

I would pitch it. I think it will likely make you sick.

You canmake homemade sour cream by combining fresh buttermilk and fresh cream and shaking it together and then letting it sit. The acid in the buttermilk makes it get thick and sour.

I would pitch it. I think it will likely make you sick.

You canmake homemade sour cream by combining fresh buttermilk and fresh cream and shaking it together and then letting it sit. The acid in the buttermilk makes it get thick and sour.

That's not the recipe for sour cream, it's the recipe for crème fraîche !

You can buy a quart of store brand sour cream for about 3 bucks American. Why would anyone want to make their own?

That's not the recipe for sour cream, it's the recipe for crème fraîche !

You can buy a quart of store brand sour cream for about 3 bucks American. Why would anyone want to make their own?

Not everyone lives where sour cream costs $3/quart. Sometimes we get a special on sour cream of $1.99 for 500 ml (about half a quart). That's the sour cream with the thickeners in it, not the good stuff.

It is a question of smetana?
Because crème fraîche this name of sour cream in Finland..(Probably)

In east Europe on one packing often write crème fraîche and smetana together.
From sour milk removed the top settled layer and maintained it in a cool place. Here and all science. Then to shake up properly.

If on taste sour - means don't poison.
If bitter or smells rotten, or aerated as lemonade - means it has not turned out.
If there is already ready sour cream that before cooling to add a spoon and to mix. Thus you will bring the necessary sour-milk bacteria and fermentation will go on a correct way.

I wasn't trying to make my own. I just wasn't sure if what has become "sour cream" in the quart bottle of heavy cream is the same stuff I buy in the tub and whether it can be used or not.

-20С

I wasn't trying to make my own. I just wasn't sure if what has become "sour cream" in the quart bottle of heavy cream is the same stuff I buy in the tub and whether it can be used or not.

There is no it not absolutely that.
That should be fermented by sour-milk bacteria still.
Anyway try on taste.
And is better mix cream and use for the designated purpose.
If became sour - pour out.
Otherwise risk to spend days off in a room of meditations.

Last edited:
-20С

There is no it not absolutely that.
That should be fermented by sour-milk bacteria still.
Anyway try on taste.
And is better mix cream and use for the designated purpose.
If became sour - pour out.
Otherwise risk to spend days off in a room of meditations.
:ROFLMAO:
Every day my wife spends what seems to be hours in the room of meditations:LOL:

Ask yourself, which is cheaper. The cost of a carton of cream that has gone bad and has to be thrown out, or a funeral because of bad judgement.

w0somf1k15g7.jpg

I didn't see who has eaten sour cream . Truth!

What you have is spoiled cream.

Sour cream, crème fraîche, and Mexican crema are all fermented products. They're made by inoculating cream with mesophilic culture. The differences are in the type of culture and cream (light, heavy, or a mixture of milk and cream) that's used. Some are also acidified.

Note that there is a fine line between spoilage and fermentation. Fermentation is basically a form of controlled spoilage. With fermentation you add a bacteria culture that's known to produce the type of product you want. Natural spoilage, on the other hand, is a complete crap shoot. You don't know what kind of bacteria caused the fermentation. Some might be ok, but others can be pathogens. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I ended up tossing it. It smelled like the tub stuff and looked like it but when I put a fingertip to it to taste, it had a "sour" taste (I did NOT eat it! It was just a light touch with the finger to taste) so down the disposal it went.

Back
Top Bottom