"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I boil my eggs for no more than 7 minutes. They aren't overcooked, but are cooked through. I then empty the water from the pan, bounce the eggs around to crack them all over, and fill the pan with cold water. I then let them set until they are cool enough to handle. Then the egg shell peels off easily, and I use the pan water to remove any tiny bits that I might have missed. Crazing the shell is the key as it separates the inner shell skin from the egg white. Just make sure that when peeling the egg, you get the skin with the shell.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thank you, Chief. That's a much more detailed description of what I do The last time I made them, I cooled them and put them in the fridge because I wasn't ready to peel and make the deviled eggs right away. So when I was ready to do that, I used a mixing bowl to help separate the eggs from the shells.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
1. Never heard of putting salt in the water for boiled eggs..
2. If your way works carry on doing it. As they say - "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
I find that if a shell cracks, less of the white leaks out, when the water is salted. I have also seen eggs with small in their shells seal themselves up in salted water. I'm talking about cracks that appeared while the eggs were being boiled.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #113
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, Food Saver seals with heat. I have two thoughts. You iron or what about heating up the Pie Maker and sealing with that heat. For me, I would try the iron. But use a cloth over the bag. Should it melt, you wouldn't want that plastic mess on the bottom of your iron.

Shucks, I gave all my Food Saver bags to Spike. Other wise I would experiment for you.

I do have some heavy duty Hefty freezer bags. I am off to experiment. Stay tuned. Will get back to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Wonder if a curling iron would work.
LOL!!! Did you guys forget who you are talking to? No iron, no curling iron...
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Maybe slam the edge of the bag in the toaster oven? Now we know you have one of those!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #115
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That might work!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh my! I have a Euro Pro iron with a very large water tank. You can iron for almost three hours before the tank needs to be refilled. I also have a very old ironing board that I found in a thrift shop in Tacoma in the early 70's. I paid the grand sum of $.69 for it. It is all wood. I have a pile of material pieces from projects. When my cover gets too stained or dirty in spots, I will cut a piece up and with Stitch Witchery, I cover the offending spot. I have had the cover as long as the board. I even mend the mended spots. It was on the board when I bought it. I iron everything in my house that is cotton. All my clothes are 100% cotton. Cotton tablecloths. But I do not iron my cotton undies. I am one of those fools who loves to iron.

When our kids were small and in school, I would get my iron and head to my sisters house. She had two ironing boards for our special day. She hated ironing and would put it off as long as she could. So when I would show up, she had quite a pile to be ironed. I always ended up getting the dresses with ruffles and other difficult trimmings that called for fussy ironing. Between the two of us, we got it all done by the time the kids got home from school.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.
LIKE!!

I learned to iron very young doing my Dad's Air Force uniforms. Mom hated ironing and she had three girls...guess who did it. I think I was about 12 when I decided I was not married to my Dad and I wasn't ironing his clothes anymore. Mom has an ironing pile that is so old, I bet they find Jimmy Hoffa in it.

Back to the egg boiling. Wondering if I can just crack them into a ramekin and steam them for easy hard boiled eggs for salads, etc. Most of the time we boil up a dozen just to have them for egg salad, they don't have to be pretty for that.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #119
Master Chef

Quote:
LIKE!!

I learned to iron very young doing my Dad's Air Force uniforms. Mom hated ironing and she had three girls...guess who did it. I think I was about 12 when I decided I was not married to my Dad and I wasn't ironing his clothes anymore. Mom has an ironing pile that is so old, I bet they find Jimmy Hoffa in it.

Back to the egg boiling. Wondering if I can just crack them into a ramekin and steam them for easy hard boiled eggs for salads, etc. Most of the time we boil up a dozen just to have them for egg salad, they don't have to be pretty for that.
I think that would work or as Chief mentioned poaching them longer than usual. I think it would be nice to find a TNT method for serving large groups, like your firefighters, things like egg salad, potato salad etc.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I think that would work or as Chief mentioned poaching them longer than usual. I think it would be nice to find a TNT method for serving large groups, like your firefighters, things like egg salad, potato salad etc.
I posted this somewhere recently

http://www.thekitchn.com/is-the-best...-kitchn-202778

They say it works perfectly with as many eggs as you can fit in your pressure cooker.

Tags
None