"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzita View Post
I love boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs. lol I was born in Gibraltar
and I cook spanish food. has anyone ever tried tortilla, its delicious
Here is the recipe, if you would like to try at home.

Ok, get 4-6 large fresh free range eggs

beat in a basin, in the meantime get 3 large potatoes

wash and chop into chunks, fry in deep hot oil

once cooked add to egg mixture, season with salt & pepper

then get one large onion, chop into cubes, fry in a little oil

then add onions to egg mixture

then get a large frying pan, with some olive oil

add mixture to the pan, then cook on one side

then get a large plate, place on frying pan, carefully turning the tortilla
upside down, cook the other side, when you do this, its best that you do
this over the sink, as there is an art to it.

serve either hot or cold with Mayonaise, you will love it
its so tasty. you can either add sweetcorn and peas to the mixture
when cooking the tortilla.

Please let me know how you get on,

From Suzita
Welcome to DC. Stick around for some fun.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Boiling eggs...Oh yeah! That was the topic.
I was getting worried. Pressing uniforms, food saver bags. I am sure I missed a subject or more. So if I have to iron something, I should look up eggs. Or a frittata.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #153
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Welcome to DC. Stick around for some fun.
Suzita's first and last post was 8 years ago. I guess she decided to not stick around.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 AM   #154
Cook

Hey, its me.
More egg tips.
So if you crack your eggs and the yolk breaks, its probably caused by striking the egg on a point, like the edge of a fry pan, as opposed to a flat surface, like a table surface.
Its easy to scoop out egg shell from an uncooked egg, using the half shell as a scoop.
ooo,kook a too, oo kook a too, ooko a too.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #155
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Would you believe ... when a cookery school grad wants a job in a kitchen with a first class chef ... one of the first things they have to demonstrate is their ability to properly cook eggs?
I know I'm quoting an ancient post, but this seemed pertinent to the topic, and most current active members have probably not seen it. When I took classes in in the Classic Essentials, the first session was Eggs - understanding eggs is one of the most essential skills in classic cooking. The first thing covered was how to boil an egg. We also made mayonnaise and learned how to make a proper French omelette, but the class started with a simple hard boiled egg.

We learned the method of putting the egg in cold tap water, then bringing it slowly to a boil, turning off the heat (or removing it from the hot burner on an electric range), covering the pan and letting it sit for 15 minutes. We did not poke any holes in the shell, nor was anything added to the water. It may not be the only way, but it seems to me to be the most foolproof way to get a good hard cooked egg every time.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have been using the "put the egg in cold tap water" for years. However, I do see a minor problem. I don't get completely consistent results. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that the water takes longer to boil in winter. Right now, my tap water is 72F. In winter, it's closer to 33F or 34F.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #157
Senior Cook

We always put the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #158
Master Chef

My water temp is the same year round. It comes from a well that's 90 feet underground. I place the eggs in cold tap water, bring to a simmer, and reduce the flame as the water is plenty hot enough to cook the egg. The egg begins to set at temps of around 170 F., much cooler than boiling water. I keep my water at about 200 F. This cooks the egg/s through without jostling them around. I can cook a dozen at a time in my big pot, knowing that there will be no broken, or split shells from eggs moving around in boiling water. This is perfect for Easter Eggs. I cook the eggs for between 7 and 10 minutes, depending on what I'm using them for, and how hard I want the yolk. I start timing after I turn the heat down.

I haven't tried the bring to boil and cover, then remove from heat method. It does appear to be a valid method, and makes great sense to me as well.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #159
Senior Cook

I've not read the 11 pages here but this is what I do. I steam the eggs for 12 minutes doing Alton Brown's method and they come out perfect every time.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
My water temp is the same year round. It comes from a well that's 90 feet underground. I place the eggs in cold tap water, bring to a simmer, and reduce the flame as the water is plenty hot enough to cook the egg. The egg begins to set at temps of around 170 F., much cooler than boiling water. I keep my water at about 200 F. This cooks the egg/s through without jostling them around. I can cook a dozen at a time in my big pot, knowing that there will be no broken, or split shells from eggs moving around in boiling water. This is perfect for Easter Eggs. I cook the eggs for between 7 and 10 minutes, depending on what I'm using them for, and how hard I want the yolk. I start timing after I turn the heat down.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North
I haven't tried the bring to boil and cover, then remove from heat method. It does appear to be a valid method, and makes great sense to me as well.

Chief, that method is very valid. But if your method works for you, then go with it. I use the 'remove from heat' method. The eggs come out very tender. Now if I could just convince my kid to not boil eggs to death, I will be very happy. I do not like it with that ring of sulphur. It makes the eggs smell and taste nasty. YUK!

Tags
None