How do you boil an egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too do the cold water to a hard simmer then remove from heat, cover with lid on for ten minutes.
The protein strands in the egg turns basically into rubber bands when subjected to heat above 212F as does any protein strands in any food. So I don't let the water reach above about 190F.

I have been using the "put the egg in cold tap water" for years. However, I do see a minor problem. I don't get completely consistent results. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that the water takes longer to boil in winter. Right now, my tap water is 72°F. In winter, it's closer to 33°F or 34°F.

Wow... does it come out as slush? ;)

I too do the cold water to a hard simmer then remove from heat, cover with lid on for ten minutes.
The protein strands in the egg turns basically into rubber bands when subjected to heat above 212F as does any protein strands in any food. So I don't let the water reach above about 190F.

I have an advantage here, at 4200 feet elevation. Water boils at 203.8° F. However it makes cooking things like rice and pasta take longer.

Back
Top Bottom