"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Would you believe ... when a cookery school grad wants a job in a kitchen with a first class chef ... one of the first things they have to demonstrate is their ability to properly cook eggs?
Eggs were the main topic of the first class session in the 4 day class I took in Classic Essentials. We did everything from simple boiling to making omelettes, mayonnaise, and baked meringue cups for macerated berries.

As mentioned earilier, the best way is supposed to be starting with cool tap water, bring evenly to a boil, then remove from heat and leave covered for 10-15 minutes.

For shelling, fresh eggs are the most difficult to peel... older (1-2 weeks) eggs will usually peel easily because the binder between the membrane and the inner egg starts to naturally break down.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #42
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
Never in a million years did I think there could be so much discussion on the subject of boiling an egg! To be honest I thought the thread title was a lure to bait people into looking at the thread, lol!
Heres looking at an egg from fridge to eat total time 10 minutes, eating not included. 7 size egg, btw.
Lensbaby on S2pro camera for you photo fans
Click image to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8XX6254 copy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1825  

Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #43
Cook

I tweaked my Boiled Egg recipe from the one on goodegg.com - perfect boiled eggs. (On rare occassion I'll get a bit of the green ring, probably just something about the particular batch of eggs, because I don't deviate from my recipe; always using an immediate ice bath for about 5 minutes.)
http://www.goodegg.com/boiledegg.html
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #44
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Interesting.

I put the eggs in the cold pan with tap water covering them by about 1/2 an inch. Then onto the (electric range) stove on high to bring to a boil. Once at a boil, the heat is backed off to somewhere around med to med-high and they cook for 20 minutes. Rinsed under cold water and put in a bowl or whatever and in the fridge. DW then peels them later and puts them into containers for breakfast (I'm not a hard boiled egg fan). Never have any problems with green, and never poked holes in prior to cooking.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #45
Everymom

Once again we hit 3 pages on boiling eggs. That always makes me chuckle.

For my part, I am in the put the eggs in the cold water and bring them to a boil. I do them 10 minutes for hard boiled and about 4 for soft boiled (which is what you are showing, Doug)

I learned that a lot of the timing of eggs is altitude. Is that not correct? If I boiled my eggs for 20 minutes they would be pretty danged UGLY.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #46
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
If I boiled my eggs for 20 minutes they would be pretty danged UGLY.
Not boiled for 20 minutes, brought up to a boil then essentially simmered for 20 minutes.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #47
Everymom

Sorry BigDog, was referring to a much earlier post (ambers I think). But, even at simmering I suspect 20 minutes would be very overdone for me. I turn my stove down to medium low after the initial hard boil and start timing then. So, I guess I simmer too.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #48
Head Chef

Va and Breezy, eggs IS an interesting topic! Alton Brown devotes one whole chapter to it in his book 'I'm Just Here For the Food'.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #49
Head Chef

Using AB's advice, I steam my whole eggs. I use my rice cooker as as steamer. Once the water inside is boiling, I place the steamer basket with the eggs. Wait 10 minutes for hard white but soft yellow, or 12 min for hard-boiled. Place in cold water to cool and crack under water.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #50
Master Chef

Wow! You guys cook your eggs a long time. Mine come out perfect for hardboiled eggs at ten minutes boiling time. I start in cold water and begin timing as the bubble just start rising to the top.

For perfect soft-boiled eggs, I start in cold water, bring to a boil, and cook at boiling for exactly 2 minutes - 38 seconds.

For both egg-types, I crack the eggshell under cold running water, let sit for a minute or so. The egg-shell always comes off cleanly when I do this.

I'm not sure what my altitude is, but I am on the shores of Lake Superior.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None