"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #61
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
And one other tidbit--if you are making eggs for devilled eggs and want the yolk "centered", stir them gently in a circular motion when first adding to the water.
That's a new one on me. Thanks Gretchen.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
...And one other tidbit--if you are making eggs for devilled eggs and want the yolk "centered", stir them gently in a circular motion when first adding to the water.
I never heard that either. I have heard that storing the eggs in the fridge with the carton on its side overnight will help center the yolks.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #63
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
my question is, "Why do u need salt" boiling an egg, u cant tell, the shell does not absorb salt, does it, I only cook my eggs for 3-5 minutes, from cold water and they turn out perfect, but they are hard boiled, my son loves soft, so I do 3 minutes for him and they are perfect, why do some people say 20 minutes, that is way too long, YUCK. Your eggs would be ruined, wouldn't they.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #64
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf
...I only cook my eggs for 3-5 minutes, from cold water and they turn out perfect, but they are hard boiled, my son loves soft, so I do 3 minutes for him and they are perfect, why do some people say 20 minutes, that is way too long, YUCK. Your eggs would be ruined, wouldn't they.
I don't speak Australian so please forgive a silly question.
This is what I'd call a hard a boiled egg.

Is that what you get in three minutes?

Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

how scientists cook the perfect boiled egg

Apparently British scientists have found the solution for the perfect boiled egg: a (first invisible) logo with heat-resistent ink is printed on the egg and only appears when the egg is boiled.

One will have to select the preference (soft,medium,hard) before buying the raw eggs.
Developed by the organisation Egg Lion Quality, which cares for the quality of the British breakfast eggs.
Read the article at CNN.com

What else will future bring us?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Apparently British scientists have found the solution for the perfect boiled egg: a (first invisible) logo with heat-resistent ink is printed on the egg and only appears when the egg is boiled.

One will have to select the preference (soft,medium,hard) before buying the raw eggs.
Developed by the organisation Egg Lion Quality, which cares for the quality of the British breakfast eggs.
Read the article at CNN.com

What else will future bring us?
Why are the talents of these young scholars not being used by the American Food Police?

Old 11-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #67
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Into cold water, when beginning to boil, time for 6 minutes then under cold running water for 5 minutes. ( wasteful creature that I am) :)

Always perfect. No green rings.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #68
Cook

Must be using a blast furnace to get a hard boiled egg from cold water in 3 minutes. Can you even get water to boil in 3 minutes on a conventional range? Maybe in a tiny pot?, but that is not a lot of cook time.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #69
Sous Chef

I put them in boiling water for about 4.5mins for a soft centre - 5.5 -6mins for a hard boiled.

I have never heard of putting salt and vinegar in the water, what does it do?

I used to put them in there when i put warm water and let them gradually boil but not on high, i was going for really hardboiled eggs then and it worked real good for me :) now im feeling like soft boiled ones hence my first description
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #70
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Would you believe ... when a cookery school grad wants a job in a kitchen with a first class chef ... one of the first things they have to demonstrate is their ability to properly cook eggs?
Yeah, but the chef has the newbie make an omelette, not hard boil an egg.

1. Place quantity of eggs desired into pot large enough so they can roam freely.

2. Fill pot with cold tap water to double egg level

3. Place pot with eggs and water on a burner and turn the burner ON.

4. Once water comes to a boil (contrary to popular belief, a watched pot WILL eventually boil!), allow eggs to boil for 4 minutes.

5. Turn off burner, put lid on pot, and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If you have an electirc stove, remove pot from burner!

6. Drain off boiled water and rinse cooked eggs under cold running water until they can be handled without hurting yourself.

Peel and eat, or store in refrigerator until you want one, but no longer than a week or two.

Tags
None