How do you boil an egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours :shock:

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.

Sometimes DW ironed my dungarees, and sometimes I ironed them. And it wasn't only in A-school. If was my everyday uniform.

I had her cut my hair one time. That was a serious mistake that wasn't repeated.:LOL: I'd done it for fellow sailors, and had no problems making the cuts look good, from the first time. Her, yeh, I had a square bald spot around both ears. I got razzed pretty good over that.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think that would work or as Chief mentioned poaching them longer than usual. I think it would be nice to find a TNT method for serving large groups, like your firefighters, things like egg salad, potato salad etc.

Eggs-actly! I need a quick method of doing lots of eggs without having to peel them. When I do hard boiled for a crowd, I expect them to peel their own eggs:rolleyes:

Cracking eggs into a bag and boiling them would be perfect for my needs. I'll look at cheap Foodsavers, since all I really want it for is sealing the bags.

Sometimes DW ironed my dungarees, and sometimes I ironed them. And it wasn't only in A-school. If was my everyday uniform.

I had her cut my hair one time. That was a serious mistake that wasn't repeated.:LOL: I'd done it for fellow sailors, and had no problems making the cuts look good, from the first time. Her, yeh, I had a square bald spot around both ears. I got razzed pretty good over that.:ohmy:

Yes, I meant that I taught him that his uniforms were his responsibility when he was in A school. I won't say I never ironed them, but It wasn't going to become my everyday chore.

Eggs-actly! I need a quick method of doing lots of eggs without having to peel them. When I do hard boiled for a crowd, I expect them to peel their own eggs:rolleyes:

Cracking eggs into a bag and boiling them would be perfect for my needs. I'll look at cheap Foodsavers, since all I really want it for is sealing the bags.

PF, a couple of years ago I posted how to make an omelet in a Hefty zip lock bag in boiling water and was quickly told that was a no-no. Unless you have a camera in your kitchen with the cooking police, I say go for it. Just don't tell. :LOL:

I wonder if you couldn't just clamp the FS bag shut with something like a clip or a couple clothespins after folding it over a few times, then boil, if you don't want to get the machine. They are pretty useful though.

Last edited:

Why not just use a 6-egg poaching pan. It will steam the eggs until they are cooked solid, all the way through. If you need more eggs, just empty the little cups and refill with more uncooked eggs. Plus, you can season them underneath, and on top if you so desire. They cook in less that 7 minutes per batch, once the water underneath is boiling. The eggs can be used for deviled eggs, or egg salad, or just placed whole onto a platter.

Just an idea.

Personally, I've never seen the sense in egg poacher pans. You could always hard poach lots of eggs in a big skillet on top of the stove or in the oven. It helps to add some vinegar to the water to keep the whites together, and I like the flavor it imparts.

Last edited:
I wonder if you couldn't just clamp the FS bag shut with something like a clip or a couple clothespins after folding it over a few times, then boil, if you don't want to get the machine. They are pretty useful though.
I bet you could tie the bag shut with twine and tie the twine to the handle of the pot, so the "open" end isn't even in the water.

I learned many years ago to put the eggs into a pot of cold water, add some salt and bring to a rolling boil.
Turn off heat, cover and let sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Cool in tap water and peel.

Perfectly hard cooked eggs. They say salt helps with peeling and i am not certain it does. I saw a guy once put about a cup of salt in a large pot to cook about 24 eggs.
Seemed like overkill to me. But he swore it made a huge difference.

LOL!!! Did you guys forget who you are talking to? No iron, no curling iron...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Why do you have food saver bags with no food saver?

OK, I just read back and understand what you want to do. There is some sort of hand held device that can be used to seal bags. It might be a lot cheaper than buying a food saver machine.

Last edited:
Why not just use a 6-egg poaching pan. It will steam the eggs until they are cooked solid, all the way through. If you need more eggs, just empty the little cups and refill with more uncooked eggs. Plus, you can season them underneath, and on top if you so desire. They cook in less that 7 minutes per batch, once the water underneath is boiling. The eggs can be used for deviled eggs, or egg salad, or just placed whole onto a platter.

Just an idea.

The point is to mass produce a bunch of cooked egg with as little prep and time as possible. No seasoning, no fats added.

Foodsaver bags and tying them off at the top and tying to the pot handle sounds like a good deal.

I had one, a nice one that sat and gathered dust because our diets changed. I have since passed it on to someone who is actually using it.

The point is to mass produce a bunch of cooked egg with as little prep and time as possible. No seasoning, no fats added.

Foodsaver bags and tying them off at the top and tying to the pot handle sounds like a good deal.

Do you need to keep the individual eggs separate for serving or are they going into an egg salad or other dish where they are sliced, chopped or something?

Do you need to keep the individual eggs separate for serving or are they going into an egg salad or other dish where they are sliced, chopped or something?

The eggs will be chopped for egg salad, potato salad, salad bar fare. This is not for individual servings.

Back
Top Bottom