How do you boil an egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the foodsaver bags would be a good option for campers.

You could crack a half dozen eggs into a bag, seal them and toss them into a cooler.

If you want them scrambled you can let the kids play catch for a few minutes before you dump them into the frying pan! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I believe I have my problem solved. Quasi-sous vide.

Yesterday I made myself some potato salad. I boiled four large potatoes. I have never put eggs in my PS. So this time I decided to. I put two eggs in the hot water with no heat underneath. Twenty minutes later, I had two perfectly hard boiled eggs. No sulfur ring, no tough white. I just fail to see what eggs give to potato salad. Just color as far as I can see. :angel:

Yesterday I made myself some potato salad. I boiled four large potatoes. I have never put eggs in my PS. So this time I decided to. I put two eggs in the hot water with no heat underneath. Twenty minutes later, I had two perfectly hard boiled eggs. No sulfur ring, no tough white. I just fail to see what eggs give to potato salad. Just color as far as I can see. :angel:

The eggs were still in their shell, right Addie?

I personally always use one HB egg per potato in my salad, but then I always use one in my tuna salad also. I could probably get by without meat in my diet, but never without eggs. :chicken:

The eggs were still in their shell, right Addie?

I personally always use one HB egg per potato in my salad, but then I always use one in my tuna salad also. I could probably get by without meat in my diet, but never without eggs. :chicken:

Sure. But only until I peeled them. If I am going to have hard boiled eggs I either want them for breakfast or in egg salad for a sandwich. Not in potato salad. :angel:

Last edited:
Criminy. I can't even remember the last time I ironed something, and I'm positive I've never ironed for three hours :shock:

When DH was in Navy A school, he was required to wear the Navy-issued dungarees and blue shirt, ironed just so, with sharp creases in the shirt. We had been married less than a year at that point; he expected me to iron his uniforms but I set him straight. He was in the Navy, not me. So it was his responsibility to follow their regulations.
I used to work with someone who had informed her "intended" that it was a condition of her agreeing to marry him that she did not do ironing, never, ever, not even in an emergency. When she had her sons they were taught to iron as soon as they went to school (at 5 years old!). She said that if they were old enough to wear school uniform they were old enough to iron it!

When I was a kid, I loved ironing. My mother did not. I think I loved it even more because she was willing to give me $1 for a load of ironing. This was at a time when I got $0.25/week in allowance. $1 seemed like a small fortune to me.

I love boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs. lol I was born in Gibraltar
and I cook spanish food. has anyone ever tried tortilla, its delicious
Here is the recipe, if you would like to try at home.

Ok, get 4-6 large fresh free range eggs

beat in a basin, in the meantime get 3 large potatoes

wash and chop into chunks, fry in deep hot oil

once cooked add to egg mixture, season with salt & pepper

then get one large onion, chop into cubes, fry in a little oil

then add onions to egg mixture

then get a large frying pan, with some olive oil

add mixture to the pan, then cook on one side

then get a large plate, place on frying pan, carefully turning the tortilla
upside down, cook the other side, when you do this, its best that you do
this over the sink, as there is an art to it.

serve either hot or cold with Mayonaise, you will love it
its so tasty. you can either add sweetcorn and peas to the mixture
when cooking the tortilla.

Please let me know how you get on,

From Suzita

Welcome to DC. Stick around for some fun. :angel:

Hey, its me.
More egg tips.
So if you crack your eggs and the yolk breaks, its probably caused by striking the egg on a point, like the edge of a fry pan, as opposed to a flat surface, like a table surface.:bounce:
Its easy to scoop out egg shell from an uncooked egg, using the half shell as a scoop.
ooo,kook a too, oo kook a too, ooko a too.:whistling

Would you believe ... when a cookery school grad wants a job in a kitchen with a first class chef ... one of the first things they have to demonstrate is their ability to properly cook eggs?

I know I'm quoting an ancient post, but this seemed pertinent to the topic, and most current active members have probably not seen it. When I took classes in in the Classic Essentials, the first session was Eggs - understanding eggs is one of the most essential skills in classic cooking. The first thing covered was how to boil an egg. We also made mayonnaise and learned how to make a proper French omelette, but the class started with a simple hard boiled egg.

We learned the method of putting the egg in cold tap water, then bringing it slowly to a boil, turning off the heat (or removing it from the hot burner on an electric range), covering the pan and letting it sit for 15 minutes. We did not poke any holes in the shell, nor was anything added to the water. It may not be the only way, but it seems to me to be the most foolproof way to get a good hard cooked egg every time.

I have been using the "put the egg in cold tap water" for years. However, I do see a minor problem. I don't get completely consistent results. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that the water takes longer to boil in winter. Right now, my tap water is 72°F. In winter, it's closer to 33°F or 34°F.

My water temp is the same year round. It comes from a well that's 90 feet underground. I place the eggs in cold tap water, bring to a simmer, and reduce the flame as the water is plenty hot enough to cook the egg. The egg begins to set at temps of around 170 F., much cooler than boiling water. I keep my water at about 200 F. This cooks the egg/s through without jostling them around. I can cook a dozen at a time in my big pot, knowing that there will be no broken, or split shells from eggs moving around in boiling water. This is perfect for Easter Eggs. I cook the eggs for between 7 and 10 minutes, depending on what I'm using them for, and how hard I want the yolk. I start timing after I turn the heat down.

I haven't tried the bring to boil and cover, then remove from heat method. It does appear to be a valid method, and makes great sense to me as well.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

I've not read the 11 pages here but this is what I do. I steam the eggs for 12 minutes doing Alton Brown's method and they come out perfect every time.

My water temp is the same year round. It comes from a well that's 90 feet underground. I place the eggs in cold tap water, bring to a simmer, and reduce the flame as the water is plenty hot enough to cook the egg. The egg begins to set at temps of around 170 F., much cooler than boiling water. I keep my water at about 200 F. This cooks the egg/s through without jostling them around. I can cook a dozen at a time in my big pot, knowing that there will be no broken, or split shells from eggs moving around in boiling water. This is perfect for Easter Eggs. I cook the eggs for between 7 and 10 minutes, depending on what I'm using them for, and how hard I want the yolk. I start timing after I turn the heat down.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

I haven't tried the bring to boil and cover, then remove from heat method. It does appear to be a valid method, and makes great sense to me as well.

Chief, that method is very valid. But if your method works for you, then go with it. I use the 'remove from heat' method. The eggs come out very tender. Now if I could just convince my kid to not boil eggs to death, I will be very happy. I do not like it with that ring of sulphur. It makes the eggs smell and taste nasty. YUK!
:angel:

Back
Top Bottom