How do you Egg? How do you Omelette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love eggs any way too. I tried eggs nuked in a coffee cup for lunch the other day when there was nothing else in the fridge. Worked pretty slick, quick and tasty! Gotta have ketchup and chipotle Tabasco!

I make my child eggs by microwave all the time when I am in a rush, they taste just fine to me. :)

Most often it's eggs fried over easy. Sometimes an omelet with Gruyere and sautéed shallots. Occasionally a fritatta with roasted red peppers, shallots, cheese and sausage.

The color of the eggshell is not a factor in the flavor or quality of the egg. It's simply linked to the breed of chicken that lays it.

Theoretically, you are correct. However, I have found that to a large extent, the farmers who choose chickens that lay brown eggs are the ones who are more likely to let them run around the barnyard and eat bugs and make tasty eggs.

Have you ever tried goose eggs? They are very large in size but taste good.

Good Morning,

I have just had to change all the watches, clocks and cellular phones, to Daylight Time ... Must get on ladder to do the London Roman Numeral Big Clock in Kitch now ...

Awesome photos and thanks to all Members who have posted feedback, recipes and subject ideas !

Los Huevos Rancheros, with the tomato sauce are called FLAMENCO EGGS in Spain, and the Omelettes with those mushrooms, the difference between raw eggs with exteriors of toast color and those of white, and the Eggs Benedict, are all stunning photos and very informative for fans of the egg genre !

Thanks so much for posting these ...

Have a nice Sunday. Margi.

Have you ever tried goose eggs? They are very large in size but taste good.

No, but once I was with a friend in an Asian market in Honolulu's "China town". She bought me a duck egg and told me to try it. The yolk was so much richer in color (and flavor) than the chicken eggs, almost orange. Much more yolk-y flavored.

I'm not a huge egg lover, but that isn't to say that I don't like eggs.

I have been craving a really, really good eggs benedict. I mean a good one. Haven't had them since my 20th wedding anniversary at a place in Oak Park (suburb of Chicago). I remember going down to the hotel's restaurant and ordering it, and the waiter, all apologetic, said their chef refuses to do anything but make it from scratch when ordered, so it would be a bit. Huh? I was delighted! My husband had been thinking of ordering something else, but jumped right on the band-wagon. In the past ten years, the eggs benedict we'd had had been on brunch buffet lines and really bad. That morning we drank champagne and those eggs were to die for.

I love a good omelet. But I don't want it brown.

I have some of these little floating egg cups, and once in awhile I "poach" eggs in them and put them on English muffins. I top mine with a bit of shredded cheddar, my husband tops his with aioli. As close as we'll get to eggs benedict in this town.

Speaking of which, I don't think there's an egg in this house. Must be grocery time!

@ Claire,

Thanks for feedback.

Firstly, I am in agreement about Eggs Benedict and I too, dislike a brown omelette ...

Duck eggs ... interesting ... I like Quail Eggs ! Of course these are quite tiny --- however, they are delectable served in glassware with a few truffles or wild mushrooms !!! I prepare them on 25th December for brunch ...

I have not had it for Brunch in quite awhile ... However, Madrid is just not the best place to have it ... It is better to prepare at home ...

I always have it when I fly over to NYC or San Francisco / Los Angeles ...

Margi.

Last edited:
I've had little quail eggs, more than once, and I'm trying to remember where and what circumstances. Good lord, I'm only 57 and my brain is fried. It seems to me that both times they were at very fancy restaurants, which means in the Wash DC or Honolulu area, and maybe in a salad?

Theoretically, you are correct. However, I have found that to a large extent, the farmers who choose chickens that lay brown eggs are the ones who are more likely to let them run around the barnyard and eat bugs and make tasty eggs.
Yup! I opted for Rhode Island Red hens because they are very good layers and they lay brown eggs. The Buff Orpingtons have "pink" ears and lay a pinkish brown egg. The barred Plymouth Rocks also lay a brownish egg, but the eggs are smaller than the RIRs and have a thicker membrane. I probably eat more eggs than most people. What the hens eats does make a difference--corn makes the yolks "yellower", as does flax seed. My chickens free range from about March until November. I still feed them--an organic mash that has corn in it, flaxseed, oil sunflower seeds, green veggies, egg shells (theirs), tomatoes, apples, bread, pasta, meat (yes, they like meat), and other things. I don't feed them citrus. They are "pigs with feathers" and will eat just about anything. We had to crush the sunflower seeds initially, but now they eat them without being pampered (my hens are a bit particular--they have their preferences and will turn their beaks up at low value stuff).

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 172
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 202
I've had little quail eggs, more than once, and I'm trying to remember where and what circumstances. Good lord, I'm only 57 and my brain is fried. It seems to me that both times they were at very fancy restaurants, which means in the Wash DC or Honolulu area, and maybe in a salad?

Your brain isn't fried, it's just so full of 57 years worth of stuff that it can be hard to find some of the stuff.

Favorite is migas. A simple matter of sauteing chopped onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapenos or seranos, and tomato. Add fried corn tortilla pieces, add lightly beaten eggs, and cook slowly so as not to brown the eggs. Top with cheese. Served with refried beans and country fries. It's difficult to make it look good in a photo, but it's one of the finest things to which an egg can aspire.

Mecca%20migas.JPG

Alternately, huevos rancheros, fried eggs topped with ranchero sauce.

15%20Huevos%20rancheros.jpg

Some people get carried away with the "fixin's", and it ends up as fried eggs topped with all the stuff that goes into migas.

Man the migas and huevos rancheros both look awsome.

When shopping for laying hens, one also wants to look at how hardy they are. Because of our climate and the fact I wanted to overwinter the hens, I went with breeds that were known to be able to survive our winters. This didn't mean I didn't turn on a heater or worry about them, but they all survived the winter and are loving being back outside during the day, even though I make them "work" for their feed--they are clearing thatch and weeds along the fencelines of the gardens. However, I don't think they consider it work, they seem to enjoy it (clucking and cooing as they remove weeds).

When shopping for laying hens, one also wants to look at how hardy they are. Because of our climate and the fact I wanted to overwinter the hens, I went with breeds that were known to be able to survive our winters. This didn't mean I didn't turn on a heater or worry about them, but they all survived the winter and are loving being back outside during the day, even though I make them "work" for their feed--they are clearing thatch and weeds along the fencelines of the gardens. However, I don't think they consider it work, they seem to enjoy it (clucking and cooing as they remove weeds).

So what colour eggs do your hens lay?

Good Evening,

How do you egg ? How do you omelette ? Would love to hear from you all in ref to the topic ... And do you prefer white or toast colored eggs and why ?

This question brings me to, two countries ... so, In Spain I like to prepare Stuffed Hard Boiled Eggs with Tuna packed in Olive Oil ... I also like a French Style Omelette with some chives ... simple and French style Baguette with a drizzle of olive oil ...

Both these two countries have a Fritatta culture ... Spain has the Spanish Potato and Onion Tortilla ( not Aztec Mexican corn flat bread ) and Italia, a Fritatta with spinach with red bell pepper, green bell, gold bell and cheese ...

Growing up, my Swiss French Mom used to prepare a stunner Quiche, so yes, Broccoli Quiche ...

Margi.
Thanks in advance ...

I'm fussy about eggs. If they taste eggy, I wont eat them.

Tortilla Espanole (great as an appetizer/Tapa because of the addition of potatoes). Since they are hard to flip, start them on the stovetop, and finish in the oven. Rosemary is a great addition. Cut it in wedges or small squares and serve with party picks/toothpicks.

Quiche or fritatta with any fresh vegetables - zukes, broc., asparagus & gruyere.

Egg "pancakes" with spinach, feta, and chopped onions.

Stuffed/hard-boiled - mix the cooked yolks with pesto (basil, sun-dried tomato or artichoke lemon), or avocado, mix with some mayonnaise, add capers and/or toasted pine nuts. Top with one cooked shrimp with tails on.

Souffles.

Strata - caprese, spinach & feta, etc.

Egg Foo Yung - mix beaten eggs w/ soy sauce, chives/green onions, crab or shrimp, water chestnuts and or bean sprouts.

An interesting "clafouti-like" dish - scramble the eggs, add seasonings and herbs of choice, and pour over halfed cherry tomatoes.

Last edited:
I have a selection of Sunday Brunch items that you would not believe, and almost all of them include eggs. For example, and any of these recipes are available upon request, I make a wide range of Italian fritattas/Spanish tortillas in a cast iron skillet, using either 3 eggs and ¾ cup egg substitute or 4 eggs and 1 cup egg substitute, depending on which skillet I'm using, and tossing in whatever else is left over in the fridge, except (because it is traditional in fritattas) it has to have small diced potatoes. This morning I am making a fritatta/tortilla with potatoes, Italian sausage, bell peppers, pepperoncini, mozerella and parmigiana cheeses. I do not bake it in the oven; I cook it on the stove top and then place it under the broiler, which is also traditional. I have also been known to make fritattas with ham, breakfast sausage, homemade fresh Mexican chorizo, or even salami and pepperoni, assorted cheeses, and all kinds of fresh, frozen, or pickled vegetables.

I am also quite fond of my world famous Huevos Rancheros Especial, an advanced version of the original huevos rancheros without the refried beans, which I find unappetizing.

Another favourite, which I haven't made in a while, is a Monte Cristo, which is a ham, turkey and Swiss sandwich dipped in an egg batter and deep fried. It is then dusted with powdered sugar and served with a big dollop of strawberry preserves.

Another new favorite I developed from a breakfast I had at a Marie Callenders restaurant is scrambled egg, fresh chorizo, and salsa enchiladas, smothered in home made enchilada sauce, topped with shredded Mexican cheese, and served with frijoles negros and arroz Mexicano (NOT arroz Español!)

Bobby Flay has a brunch show every Saturday on FoodTV and I have never had a bad brunch menu item from this show. Love him or hate him, that dude can friggin' cook! My list of egg items from his shows this season include Croque Madame; French toast waffles; several different types of pancakes and waffles; ham, egg and cheese on an English muffin; and eggs with biscuits and gravy among others. Check out Brunch@Bobbys for more of his brunch recipes.

Last edited:
I love eggs just about any way especially plain fried egg sandwich, & especially especially omelets. My favorite is a steak fajita omelet stuffed with grilled steak and sauteed peppers and onions. Top this deliciousness with Cheddar cheese, fresh Pico de Gallo, sour cream, & guacamole.
I agree that shell color is not a factor for me. I get free range eggs from friends whenever possible though & sometimes there's a duck egg or two in there. I consider those bonuses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom