"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Good Evening,

How do you egg ? How do you omelette ? Would love to hear from you all in ref to the topic ... And do you prefer white or toast colored eggs and why ?

This question brings me to, two countries ... so, In Spain I like to prepare Stuffed Hard Boiled Eggs with Tuna packed in Olive Oil ... I also like a French Style Omelette with some chives ... simple and French style Baguette with a drizzle of olive oil ...

Both these two countries have a Fritatta culture ... Spain has the Spanish Potato and Onion Tortilla ( not Aztec Mexican corn flat bread ) and Italia, a Fritatta with spinach with red bell pepper, green bell, gold bell and cheese ...

Growing up, my Swiss French Mom used to prepare a stunner Quiche, so yes, Broccoli Quiche ...

Margi.
Thanks in advance ...
Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, I have always loved the Italian Frittata. What I love is that the eggs are the foundation and you can put anything in it. I usually put the regular Italian everyday foods. Sliced peppers, (red, green, orange, yellow) onions, garlic, thinly sliced potatoes, sliced sausage. Very little meat, lots of veggies. Even asparagus. Anything that is in season. Just a walk through the produce department will give you ideas.

My daughter is a really good Italian cook. But her son would rather have my Frittata than hers. She is not willing to put the effort into slicing all those veggies. Sometimes I think I enjoy the prep work more than the eating. Its a hands on the food thing.

And I love Quiche. Any green veggie in that will do for me. Along with onions.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Not a big fish person
what about small fish?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I'm fussy about eggs. If they taste eggy, I wont eat them.
what should eggs taste like?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Poached in spicy tomato sauce

mmm, i haven't had eggs in purgatory in years.

i've been jonesing for a plain pizza, thin crust, topped with eggs in the last few seconds of cooking so they come out sunny side up (whites set, yolk runny).

i could also go for an egg sandwich.
there used to be a little shack on the corner of teterboro airport in joisey on rte. 46 that served the best italian-american egg sandwiches in the world! it was called a "double double".
the little old guy that ran the place would swipe a hunk of butter into one of his perpetually busy, banged up frying pans, then crack two eggs in. as the eggs cooked, he'd split a portugese roll, then spoon in the most delicious italian fennel sausage that was browned, cut into chunks, and then finishedand kept warm in a pork broth, much like a beer and onion bath for brats.. a quick flip of the eggs to cook them over easy with a still runny yolk, and they went over the sausages in the roll.

oh baby, they were good.

if you really wanted to go downtown, you could get cubed fried potatoes mixed with bits of onions and peppers, and even a cheese sauce on top, but that was over doing it imo.

the yolk was enough to go with the whites and sausage on a delicious, crunchy and chewy roll.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
what about small fish?
Wise guy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
mmm, i haven't had eggs in purgatory in years.

i've been jonesing for a plain pizza, thin crust, topped with eggs in the last few seconds of cooking so they come out sunny side up (whites set, yolk runny).

i could also go for an egg sandwich.
there used to be a little shack on the corner of teterboro airport in joisey on rte. 46 that served the best italian-american egg sandwiches in the world! it was called a "double double".
the little old guy that ran the place would swipe a hunk of butter into one of his perpetually busy, banged up frying pans, then crack two eggs in. as the eggs cooked, he'd split a portugese roll, then spoon in the most delicious italian fennel sausage that was browned, cut into chunks, and then finishedand kept warm in a pork broth, much like a beer and onion bath for brats.. a quick flip of the eggs to cook them over easy with a still runny yolk, and they went over the sausages in the roll.

oh baby, they were good.

if you really wanted to go downtown, you could get cubed fried potatoes mixed with bits of onions and peppers, and even a cheese sauce on top, but that was over doing it imo.

the yolk was enough to go with the whites and sausage on a delicious, crunchy and chewy roll.
Do you mean Harry's Corner, Rt 46 E South Hackensack across from Plaza 46 diner? Mom would take me there for sausage, pepper, onion, potato and egg sandwiches. YUM!! I miss that place.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I'm fussy about eggs. If they taste eggy, I wont eat them.
Just curious, do you eat farm-fresh, free range eggs or plain ol' grocery store eggs? The thing I like about the eggs from my hens, the eggs taste like eggs. The yolks are not rubbery and the yolks are so good. I guess they do taste eggy.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Sunny side up.
Carbonara. I love the base sauce of raw egg, cream, olive oil and fresh parmesan, with loads of black pepper and parsley on top. I will stray from the classic recipe and use sausage, ham, shrimp, mushrooms, onions, just about anything when making this dish. My favorite way is with hot Italian sausage....
Fritatas are also great when you have a few people stay over. I have a large 14 inch frying pan that can easily hold a dozen eggs or more. Add whatever, flip once, top with cheese and cover. Then, I slice it up in wedges like a pizza and let people take what they want.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the feedback ... and culinary inspiration too ...

Kindest regards,
Margi.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Rock, have you ever tried substituting yogourt or sour cream for the cream in carbonara? It adds an interesting tangy flavour.

I like your idea of the giant fritata for serving eggs to a number of people at once.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Rock, have you ever tried substituting yogourt .
No. But I will now. Gives me another excuse to eat it again soon.....

Tags
egg