"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I haven't met a cheese I didn't like except for Headcheese and Limburger. It just depends what I'm doing with it ... My absolute favorites, though, are the sharp cheddar and colby cheeses made by local creameries. Our cows have a higher butter fat content so tends to be creamier. And did you know Colby is named after the town 2 miles from my house? I drive by the original factory when I pick berries. Theres your fun facts for the day
I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful. I've seen a couple of Colby producers who claim to make the original recipe colby. Their cheese isn't cheap. But I'd like to try it sometime. I grew up on Kraft brand cheeses. Though I like them, the artisinal cheddars and other cheeses I've had are so so much better, IMHO.

I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.

As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful ...
Most fresh cheese curds around here are Colby. Squeaky and yummy!

Quote:
I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.
When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.

Quote:
As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I did not know this, I just knew it was heavier. Thank you for the information!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.
Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Mmmm. Tillamook.....
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Cheeses I usually have in the house
Wisconsin Cheddar
Parmesan Reggiano
Blue cheese, usually Maytag. For crumbles and I make my own blue cheese dressing which also makes a nice dip by itself.
Pre shredded packages of cheddar, "swiss" or monteray jack. Not the best for melting because you know they coat it with starch, but it's easy.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice / year Velveeta. Still makes the Best grilled cheese sandwich bar-none and you can melt a brick with a can of Ro-tel and even get fancy with some added hot sausage to mix in.

Cheeses that Rotate-- Jarlsberg, gorgonzola, provolone and smoked gouda.

Wish I had deeper pocket$ for --- gruyere, emmentaler. and stilton, which I have never had.

RockLobster some time ago posted a dinner pic with a square of St Agur Blue sitting plumply on top of a steak like a pat of butter. One of the best pics ever posted on DC, for all its simplicity of ingredients. I checked out the St Agur at my grocers. For one, they had it, for two, it didn't look like his, the veins were not as symmetrical or as veiny, for three it was expensive-er than I wanted to pay that day. Batting 4 for 4, now they haven't had it in their rotating inventory ever since. It's still on my list "to try".
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
Head Chef

I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!
We could trade cheeses...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Except Balderson Heritage 5 year aged white cheddar. Tillamook isn't half bad though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've never had Balderson, so I can't respond.

I do love Stilton, though!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have hunted for years for Tillamook in these here parts. Not happening. I loved their smoked cheddar.

Tags
cheese, other