"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I haven't met a cheese I didn't like except for Headcheese and Limburger. It just depends what I'm doing with it ... My absolute favorites, though, are the sharp cheddar and colby cheeses made by local creameries. Our cows have a higher butter fat content so tends to be creamier. And did you know Colby is named after the town 2 miles from my house? I drive by the original factory when I pick berries. Theres your fun facts for the day
I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful. I've seen a couple of Colby producers who claim to make the original recipe colby. Their cheese isn't cheap. But I'd like to try it sometime. I grew up on Kraft brand cheeses. Though I like them, the artisinal cheddars and other cheeses I've had are so so much better, IMHO.

I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.

As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I understand that Wisonsin passed rules that changed Colby from its original recipe, so that it could be mass-produced more easily, and that the original had a milky flavor, and was a gentle, young cheese that was supposed to be just delightful ...
Most fresh cheese curds around here are Colby. Squeaky and yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'd love to live where you do. Great cheese is a rare thing where I live, unless I go north into Ontario.
When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
As to the greater cream content in your local milk, this is caused by colder temps, and the cow breed. When the air gets cold, the cows produce richer milk, but not as much as when it's warm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I did not know this, I just knew it was heavier. Thank you for the information!
__________________

__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
When we lived in Oregon, I would haul cheese back every year. People thought I was crazy because there are some good artisan cheeses there. It's the creaminess though that they are missing.
Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!
Mmmm. Tillamook.....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,953
Cheeses I usually have in the house
Wisconsin Cheddar
Parmesan Reggiano
Blue cheese, usually Maytag. For crumbles and I make my own blue cheese dressing which also makes a nice dip by itself.
Pre shredded packages of cheddar, "swiss" or monteray jack. Not the best for melting because you know they coat it with starch, but it's easy.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice / year Velveeta. Still makes the Best grilled cheese sandwich bar-none and you can melt a brick with a can of Ro-tel and even get fancy with some added hot sausage to mix in.

Cheeses that Rotate-- Jarlsberg, gorgonzola, provolone and smoked gouda.

Wish I had deeper pocket$ for --- gruyere, emmentaler. and stilton, which I have never had.

RockLobster some time ago posted a dinner pic with a square of St Agur Blue sitting plumply on top of a steak like a pat of butter. One of the best pics ever posted on DC, for all its simplicity of ingredients. I checked out the St Agur at my grocers. For one, they had it, for two, it didn't look like his, the veins were not as symmetrical or as veiny, for three it was expensive-er than I wanted to pay that day. Batting 4 for 4, now they haven't had it in their rotating inventory ever since. It's still on my list "to try".
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!
__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I agree PF! Their aged cheddars are very good.

So a funny cheese story ... our favorite route to take on the motorcycle was starting in Red Lodge, Montana and riding the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways into Cody, Wyoming. On one of these trips, we frequented the bowling alley in Red Lodge for a few adult beverages and Monte and Jack (1/2 of the couple we were riding with) got to chatting with the bartender. By the end of the night, they had traded drinks for Wisconsin cheese which we mailed out to them when we got home. Who knew cheese could be currency!
We could trade cheeses...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #28
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!
Except Balderson Heritage 5 year aged white cheddar. Tillamook isn't half bad though.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,282
I've never had Balderson, so I can't respond.

I do love Stilton, though!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Nothing beats a Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar!
I have hunted for years for Tillamook in these here parts. Not happening. I loved their smoked cheddar.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese, other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.