"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Master Chef

How do you like your cheese?

How do you like your favorite cheese, and what kind is it?

Though I am a true cheesehead, and adore most kinds of cheese, my favorites are:
1. an old Cheddar, aged 5 years or more, and served up room temperature, and in thin slices. Though this is usually served up as an appy, with some good crackers, or fresh strawberries, I like to just eat a slice, all by its lonesome self. I nibble it, and let the full flavor, and crunch of the minerals do magical thins to my senses. I close my eyes and enjoy a piece of greatness.
2. a well aged Sharp Pinconning, that has so much bite, it makes your jaw muscles ache, and curls your toes. Serve it up at room temp, as with the above listed cheddar.
3. A full bodied Swiss, again at room temperature, and either all by itself, or on a magnificent Rueben.
4. Good Colby - a snacking cheese to be eaten with chips and such, while playing Monopoly, or Risk, or Uno, Scrabble, etc.
5. Gruyere, or Havarti, on sandwiches, or in a sauce.
6. Parmigiano Regiano, freshly grated onto the the Ceascar's Salad served at North 82 in Sault Ste. Marie, ONT, with the amazing house dressing that they make.
7. Freshly grated Parmigiano Regiano over virtually any kind of pasta, especially with a tomato based sauce.
8. Pecorino Romano, served up like Parmigiano Regiano
9. Asiago grated fresh over penne pasta with a light cream sauce
10. Velveeta, cut thick, and melted in a grilled cheese sandwich, or better yet, between two slices of French Toast, with ham, all swimming in pure, maple syrup.

Ok, that's my top ten, at least for today. What's yours?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Head Chef

I like almost every kind of cheese and I like them room temp.

It would be hard for me to pick my favorite, because that might change day to day as recipes and taste buds evolve.

Sorry to be so wishy-washy (I'm not normally) but those are the facts.

Except----- for a cheese I tried years ago and can't remember the name of now. It was European, had a dark brown rind. That cheese was so bad I threw it away after one bite, and it was expensive. For a person that loves Limburger it had to taste pretty bad! At least for my taste. Wish I could remember the name.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Wasn't that a disco song?

Ooh, how do you like your cheese?
How do you like it, how do you like it?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Imported Swiss as a grilled (with a bowl of tomato soup) or a Reuben sandwich.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We both love cheese. If we only have 4-6 chunks of cheese, we worry that there isn't enough cheese.

My all time favourite has to be triple cream Brie or Camembert.

• Pecorino Romana
  • Gruyère
  • A nice stinky Danish cheese (I don't mean the blue one, even though I almost always have some of that at home.)
  • Stilton, I have only had that once, in a fancy resto as part of cheese platter as dessert. I had no idea it would be so wonderful.

There are loads of other cheeses that I really enjoy, but those are my current favourites.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Smoked Gouda, room temp, over all other cheeses. I like it with Granny Smith apple slices. I don't like to put it in anything like sandwiches, casseroles, etc.

I am fond of most cheeses, have never tried Limburger and can't abide goat cheese.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I used to eat a lot of cheese, but it was mostly mozzarella or swiss. I would say the swiss was my favorite. I no longer eat a lot of cheese. At parties, my DIL always has a nice selecting of unusual cheeses for slicing with crackers. I like to try them all. Just don't keep it in the house much.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Head Chef

I love cheese. Some of my favorites are:
Parmigiano Reggiano
Extra sharp cheddar
Goat cheese
Smoked gouda
Pepper Jack
Old 03-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Master Chef

I love lots of cheeses. BUT my favs are Danish or mild blue cheese (Trader Joe's cave aged blue is a fav) and Brie. I like to eat those two together room temp and spread on slices of a nice crusty loaf of bread.

Here is a picture of a recent dinner platter of an assortment of cheeses, meats and fruit - brie, gouda, smoked gouda, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, Wispride port wine cheese spread (I couldn't find regular port wine so this was a sub), pepperoni, dry Italian sausage, red seedless grapes, Paula Red apples, stone wheat thins (I love these crackers and are my fav cracker to eat with cheese because they don't over power the cheese) and sliced Italian bread.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice plate, MsM!

Mmm, cheese. Stupid high blood pressure.

Gruyere, smoked cheddar and gouda, parmegianno regianno, Maytag Bleu, Velveeta!, the Canadian cheese spread my mom loved so much (Empress?), cream cheese with stuff mixed in....the list is endless.

Never could get into goat cheese, it always tastes so "goaty" to me.

Tags
cheese, other