"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-03-2004, 06:04 AM   #11
Head Chef

When I was young, it was my job to whip cream for pumpkin pies, etc.
Back then, my mother had a rotary beater (remember them, anyone?) and I would take heavy cream, some sugar and a little vanille and stand there and work my little arms off. Turned out great every time, but give me a good old electric appliance anytime.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 AM   #12
Executive Chef

We always gave the new guys in the kitchen the job of whipping about 5 quarts of cream - by hand - with a whisk! :D

Old 12-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #13
Everymom

OW
Old 12-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #14
Executive Chef

:twisted:

Yep - and sent the guys down the street for the special pasta fork - and 4 gallons of 'pasta water', too!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #15
Everymom

LMAO!!! You have a wonderful mean streak!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #16
Master Chef

That's a trial by fire if I've ever heard of one!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Kitchen 'hazing' has a long and somewhat unsavory reputation! Fortunately all the places I've worked at have been relatively harmless. For truly hair raising experiences, read Anthony Bourdain's 'Kitchen Confidential'!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I used to put red liquid paste color all over my hand and enough on a razor cutter so it drips and yell, "AHHHH! I CUT MYSELF!!!" Some people actually get sick. :twisted:
Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #19

And I would have fallen for it like a brick!!!!!

How devilish of you, Psiguy!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:14 AM   #20

Had a "buddy" that started on the "road crew" for the City of (whatever)...

On his first day, the foreman told him to go to City Stores and get the "left handedmonkey nuts" (whatever)...

Recognizing this as a ruse, Donnie went to Riverdale Pool Hall and shot pool for the day...appearing the next morning on the job site, he told the foreman "they didn't have any"...

Further into his "illustrious career" with the City, he was employed as a clerking type in Light Water and Sewage billing...

Being as he was newly married, he and "Frankie" did not live in the finest of neighbourhoods, and were prone to "disagreements" with the uptight next door neighbours...in fact, if you recall my post in "Beveredges", this was the guy who got married and was up for the "housewarming" with the single toilet (but not the one with the classic comment)...

Anyways, Don and the next door were in a constant state of feud...

One night, Donnie had a party with a bunch of his "military" friends, after an exercise on NBCW warfare means...at about 0300, some people (Not including me!) splelt out the classic "F...Y.." message on the absent neighbour's lawn, in hi test fertilizer, with predictable results...in terms of "burning in"...

The the neighbour "watered away like "heck";", with the predictable result that the remainder of th lawn "paled", and the "fertilised words" grew up, lush, thick, dark and heavy...

When the City decided to "average" the power bills, water tares etc., Donnie intercepted his "neighbour's" bill and reduced it from $95 a month to $25 a month...

Sensing a "bargain", the "neighbour" bit down hard, and agreed...

18 months later, in January, Donnie sent him a notice on how much in "arrears" he was, advising if it was not paid off in 45 days, his light, water and sewage systems would be turned "off"...

The neighbour sold off the property rather promptly (he'd blown the stack on a Florida trip, which I'm sure was part of the measure!)....

Don't "mess" with those military sorts in Civic government...they can wreck your day...

Tags
None