"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
Master Chef

How do you make fresh whipped cream?

How the heck you make this.........I had 2 disasters this morning and finally said to heck with it......I was at the point that if the grocery store was within a block I'd of run down there in my pj's and bought some cool whip Lucky for everyone I had to hurry and get ready for work also so no time for a fashion show :)

Old 11-22-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Sous Chef

If I'm really lazy, I put the cream along with some confectioner's sugar into my Kisag creamer. Charge it up with an NO2 cartridge and instant whipped cream.

Otherwise, I refrigerate a tall mixing bowl and the beaters until they are icy cold. Into the bowl, I pour 1 cup of cream and approximately 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar. Whip on highest speed until it forms the stiffness I'm looking for. If I'm going to use it to dress individual desserts with a dolop of whipped cream, I stop when the peaks are soft. If I'm going to pipe it out of a bag to decorate a pie, I go until the peaks are just stiff. If I'm going to use it to frost, I go a bit longer until the beater leaves stiff trails and holes in the whipped cream. Never go beyond this point, otherwise you'll make butter.

Always remember, the colder you can keep the cream, the better it will whip up. If the kitchen is warm, you can utilize and ice bath.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Master Chef

This is an alternate recipe that produces a stable whipped cream suitable for cake icing. Just follow PsiGuy's recipe and add the gelatin while the whipped cream is beating away.

Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing

2 teaspoons Knox Gelatine
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix Knox Gelatine and cold water and set aside.

Whip the cream, and add confectioner's sugar. Add gelatine mixture and vanilla extract.

Continue whipping until the gelatine is incorporated.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Sometimes the 'ultra-pasteurized' heavy cream just won't whip. I've also had minor disasters when the weather is very humid and rainy. (One catering bash comes to mind - we wasted about 8 quarts of cream trying to get it to stabilize and finally went out and bought the stuff in the cans)

There's a product called 'Whip-It' you can sometimes find in the baking section of the grocery store that does a great job of stabilizing and holding the cream. Comes in a little blue envelope, made by ? 'Oester'?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
Head Chef

Agree, agree, agree!

Knox gelatin can help in a pinch, and marmalady, I've used the Whip-It myself. I think its german-made...Oetker? Anyway, a local german deli and grocery keeps the stuff on the shelves. Mostly dextrose as I recall.

I can certainly sympathize with marmalady's disaster descriptions. Had them myself...which is why I keep Knox on hand!

And cold, very clean bowls and utensils are absolute requirements.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
If I'm really lazy, I put the cream along with some confectioner's sugar into my Kisag creamer. Charge it up with an NO2 cartridge and instant whipped cream.

Otherwise, I refrigerate a tall mixing bowl and the beaters until they are icy cold. Into the bowl, I pour 1 cup of cream and approximately 1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar. Whip on highest speed until it forms the stiffness I'm looking for. If I'm going to use it to dress individual desserts with a dolop of whipped cream, I stop when the peaks are soft. If I'm going to pipe it out of a bag to decorate a pie, I go until the peaks are just stiff. If I'm going to use it to frost, I go a bit longer until the beater leaves stiff trails and holes in the whipped cream. Never go beyond this point, otherwise you'll make butter.

Always remember, the colder you can keep the cream, the better it will whip up. If the kitchen is warm, you can utilize and ice bath.
This is the perfect time to use the hot/cold water bath attachment on your 5 qt Kitchenaid mixer.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

Half and Half can't be used to make it?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Everymom

Nope. I think that half and half is too low in milk fat. Doesn't work. (OK I admit it...I tried once...horrible mess. Save yourself!)
Old 11-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef

This is the perfect time to use the hot/cold water bath attachment on your 5 qt Kitchenaid mixer.
Don't have one. All I do is I slip a bowl of ice and water under the KA bowl. Works just as well.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Make sure you're using HEAVY cream or HEAVY whipping cream. Some stores sell light whipping cream - do not use that - it won't work!

Tags
None