How do you store your cheeses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pancake

Senior Cook
I tried the plastic boxes, ziploc bags, plastic wrap & wax/parchment papers.. Some keep for a while (the aged harder ones) but the softer cheeses :( what's the best way to store them & for how long?
Thanks!

Hi pancake--welcome back!
I use a combination of what you've said you try. I usually wrap in wax paper, then saran (very tightly), then throw the whole mess in a zip lock. I find a have better luck when I don't touch the cheese any more than I have to and also when I wrap tightly, getting out as much air as possible.

Thing is, I've had the same kind of cheese last a few weeks and last only a few days. I'm afraid that some of it is out of my control and due to the age it is when I buy it.

Hey PA Baker!

Thanks for the welcome & reply :) I was guessing the same thing because sometimes it keeps & other times it doesn't. I'll try the triple wrapping like yours! I sometimes feel that it dries off the cheese, so I figured keeping it lose would be better :?

I use a food saver vac 1200. I am very happy I bought that thing.

DampCharcoal said:
I use Ziplock bags as well and have never really had a problem. I'm a cheese-aholic so tend to go through it pretty fast!

I liked the ziplocks for harder cheeses no matter how many times you open & seal back, it keeps well. Guess am not a cheese-aholic :D

pancake said:
MJ said:
I use a food saver vac 1200. I am very happy I bought that thing.

what is that thing :oops:
prodImage_1104_sml.jpg

You can suck all the air out of the bags with this. It makes everything last longer in the freezer.
www.foodsaver.com/products.ad2?catalogID=1000

WoW !! I never thought of that !!!! Thanks MJ & GB :)
I can use it for all kinds of food too! It'll be on my "MUST GET" list for sure!

i tend to store my cheeses wherever they pleases.
ok, i have to put down dr. suess and get back to reality, whatever that is...lol.

buckytom said:
i tend to store my cheeses wherever they pleases.
ok, i have to put down dr. suess and get back to reality, whatever that is...lol.

Why get back to reality, buckytom!! I am sure that it is more fun in the other place.

I tend to store my cheese in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag. Some cheese I have found when left in the original packaging and stored in a ziploc bag tend to last longer.

20.gif

Cheese needs to breath! The best way to store it (outside of a vacuum-sealer) is to wrap it in rather loosly parchment paper then in foil or a ziplock. Wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap will make it mold pretty quickly. Wrapping it loosly will tend to dry it out a bit, but it won't go bad on you.

Never buy more cheese than you'll eat in maybe 2 weeks (unless vacuum-seal) -- or prepare to freeze it.

http://www.whitestonecheese.co.nz/storage.html

I've never done this, mostly because I keep forgetting, but I think you can put your cheese in a Ziplock or Tupperware container, and include a paper towel or cheesecloth soaked in white vinegar. Then you add new vinegar once a week, if necessary.

Cats

Another trick is whether you use baggies or any kind of wrap ... always, and I do mean always, use a new one every time you open the cheese and take off a slice. Always use new wrap/baggies, no matter which you're using. I've found this adds a lot of life to cheese. Surely you never throw away a harder cheese because it has mold? Simply cut the mold off and make sure to give it a new wrapper. Soft cheeses are more of a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom