How long does Parmigiano-Reggiano last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Is it worth buying a chunk of it for just myself, instead of buying those Kraft tubes of it all the time?

If you buy a wedge that's no more than a pound, e.g. you should be OK. The cheese should be in an airtight container but not wrapped tightly. I keep it in the fridge in a Ziplock freezer bag. It lasts for months.

Andy, I found the Press n' Seal keeps cheeses fresh longer than the bags. Just a pain to seal back up again.

Gosh the wedges keep fresh for months and months.

We have has some for at least six months. Just keep it wrapped well.

If you buy a wedge that's no more than a pound, e.g. you should be OK. The cheese should be in an airtight container but not wrapped tightly. I keep it in the fridge in a Ziplock freezer bag. It lasts for months.

Why not wrapped tightly?

Kabinet wax is also good for wrapping cheese - it's either kabinet or cabinet, I can't remember, we have it at work. You know what they are - you can pull a sheet out (about the size of a dryer sheet).

my parma-reg lasts until you see a little blood and knuckle skin coming thru the grater. :rolleyes:

Is it worth buying a chunk of it for just myself, instead of buying those Kraft tubes of it all the time?

Kraft tubes???? You're kidding, right? AAACCKKK!! :wacko: Parmegiano-Reggiano doesn't come in Kraft tubes. It's imported from Italy and comes in a wheel. I buy about 1/4 of a lb. at a time and grate, shred or shave it depending on how I'll use it. I wrap it in Saran, then again in foil. I really don't know how long it will keep but I've kept it for about 6 weeks before it's all gone and it's still fresh. Try not to buy anything but the real thing. There is a huge difference.

I finally tried the real thing, and it is truly amazing. You must try it!

I didn't know that cheese needed to breathe. I've always kept it wrapped tightly to keep it from molding or drying out.

You can grate the cheese and store it in the freezer if you want. In a previous life, I belonged to an Italian (read beer drinking) club, and they had access to some excellent imported foods. Sometimes members would pitch in together and order whole cheeses, then split them up. We got some kind of parmesan that was coated in black wax that was pretty darned good for cooking. I grated it up and froze it in small plastic bags for fettucini and such.

:)I wrap mine in a paper towel and then put in a ziploc when I use some I wrap in a fresh paper towel and put back in ziploc.

Ok so I just went out and bought a 1/2 Lb. chunk...it does taste amazing. The Wegmans grocery store that just opened near me has a HUGE cheese department, with like half a dozen experts there giving samples of over 300 different kinds of cheese, and they were cracking a huge wheel of Reggiano when I was there. They even chop off pieces of the rind for you if thats what you want.

Back
Top Bottom