How to check if an Egg is Rotten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - there definitely are "yolkless" eggs, but they're definitely not as common as double-yolkers.

"Yolkless" eggs, "shell-less" eggs, & "softshell" eggs only appeared in my small flock when the young birds were just starting to lay. Once they got into the swing of things, I never had any of those. I guess some of them needed a few trial runs before they got the hang of it - lol!!!

BreezyCooking said:
Yes - there definitely are "yolkless" eggs, but they're definitely not as common as double-yolkers.

"Yolkless" eggs, "shell-less" eggs, & "softshell" eggs only appeared in my small flock when the young birds were just starting to lay. Once they got into the swing of things, I never had any of those. I guess some of them needed a few trial runs before they got the hang of it - lol!!!
Breezy, I am only happy to know that my earlier advice to members who are squirmish about eating double yolkers (ie. to keep the extra yolk in case they run into a no-yolker:idea:) is very much to the point. A stitch in time ....

Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to run into a "no yolker" unless you're purchasing your eggs direct from a farm.

The commercial folks candle all their eggs, & a "no yolker" would definitely be discarded. The only reason "double yolkers" sometimes sneak through is because the yolks are frequently alligned so that they look like one large yolk to the candler. If the yolks are totally separate, they're removed as well, since the commercial egg producers don't want the "average American housewife" to be disturbed if she comes across twin yolks & stops buying their eggs.

Like I said before - commercial egg production is all about conformity.

Hard Boiled Lifetime

Daisey said that hardboiled eggs should keep about a week in the fridge. Is that in or out of the shell - or does it matter?

buckytom said:
i throw mine at elfie's house.

if she pulls out a pans a whips up something delicious, then i know the eggs are good.

you don't wanna know "if not"...

That was YOU outside my house the other night? :ohmy:

We buy our eggs from a neighbor. They are brown and I have gotten double yokers several times. Not too often. Perhaps one in a year. I never need to worry "are they fresh" ? There is a difference in organic eggs.

boufa06 said:
What Daisy said, ie. shaking an egg next to your ear to see (or rather hear) if it's rotten works without fail for me. Eggs that have gone bad make the characteristic sound of something splashing around inside the shell while fresh eggs make no sound at all.

For those not used to this method of detection, a word of caution might be in order. Do not hold the egg too tightly or shake too energetically. It is not that in case you do so you will fail to detect a rotten egg. Detection will be as easy or even easier in this case. However, there may be undesirable side effects, if you know what I mean.
I'm really confused here. Who is Daisy, and where are her posts on this thread? I see nothing about shaking eggs.

suzyQ3 said:
I'm really confused here. Who is Daisy, and where are her posts on this thread? I see nothing about shaking eggs.

I'm with suzyQ3. Who is Daisy? The first reference to "Daisy" was in post #3, but I saw no mention of Daisy in posts #1 or #2. Then, to confuse matters even more, several other posters referenced and/or thanked Daisy for her information later on in this thread.

Am I living in the Twilight Zone because I've read ALL the posts and I still have no clue who Daisy is?:(

EGGs-traordinary

There WAS a post here, detailing how long one could keep eggs in various stages/forms; that's why I asked the question I did. We all seem to be in the twilight zone.
I still need the answer to my question:angel:

Katie E said:
I'm with suzyQ3. Who is Daisy? The first reference to "Daisy" was in post #3, but I saw no mention of Daisy in posts #1 or #2. Then, to confuse matters even more, several other posters referenced and/or thanked Daisy for her information later on in this thread.

Am I living in the Twilight Zone because I've read ALL the posts and I still have no clue who Daisy is?:(

I agree...who is Daisy?

pondflyer said:
There WAS a post here, detailing how long one could keep eggs in various stages/forms; that's why I asked the question I did. We all seem to be in the twilight zone.
I still need the answer to my question:angel:

Someone who knows has not yet seen this thread...they will, just give them time;)

P.S. Welcome to DC!! You will meet some wonderful people on here!!

Someone also asked about the blood spot in eggs and if they are edible. Yes they are. If you don't like the spot you can remove it with the tip of a knife. The spots are not harmful and are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. The spot also does not indicate a fertilized egg as some old wives tails suggest.

Another thing that some people don't understand is the chalazae. That's the white stringy piece that you sometimes notice when you crack the egg open. It is what anchors the yolk in the center of the white. They are neither imperfections or indication of a fertilized egg. The more visible the chalazae the fresher the egg. You can remove it or not, it has no effect in the cooking or beating of the egg.

I have chickens and I am lucky because I get quite a few double yolkers. I also sell my eggs but keep my double yolkers for myself!

Hope this keeps everyone from throwing out good eggs!

I am always looking for recipes that use a lot of eggs since I have so many eggs to use.

When using eggs for anything, I just crack them one at a time in a small bowl. That way, if it's gone south, it won't spoil the rest of them. Or whatever it is that I'm making.

Last edited:
So, to retrack, crack your eggs into a bowl to see if they're off. Presumably because the smell will let you know.

The business about floating and possibly shaking has been shown to be pointless as it only tells you the age of the egg, not the quality of the content.

Have I got that right?

Yes.

If an egg floats, get rid of it. Not only will you be saving yourself or a family member from getting sick, never mind opening a can of worms. You could be opening Pandora's box!!

But also, the best way to assure that you are using the freshest eggs possible, check the date on the carton and try to use them all before the date expires.

Also, while in the store and selecting the size (I usually extra large), open the carton to see if there are any eggs that are cracked or broken.

Last edited:
how to tell if an egg is rotten

floating in water is the best way to test for bad eggs
the best way to hard boil an egg (without getting a black line around the yolk) is to bring the eggs to the boil and immediately turn off the heat and let them stand in the pan covered for ten minutes, The run under cold water until they are cold before you shell them. This never fails.:chef:grannyma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom