"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
Master Chef

Yes - there definitely are "yolkless" eggs, but they're definitely not as common as double-yolkers.

"Yolkless" eggs, "shell-less" eggs, & "softshell" eggs only appeared in my small flock when the young birds were just starting to lay. Once they got into the swing of things, I never had any of those. I guess some of them needed a few trial runs before they got the hang of it - lol!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Yes - there definitely are "yolkless" eggs, but they're definitely not as common as double-yolkers.

"Yolkless" eggs, "shell-less" eggs, & "softshell" eggs only appeared in my small flock when the young birds were just starting to lay. Once they got into the swing of things, I never had any of those. I guess some of them needed a few trial runs before they got the hang of it - lol!!!
Breezy, I am only happy to know that my earlier advice to members who are squirmish about eating double yolkers (ie. to keep the extra yolk in case they run into a no-yolker) is very much to the point. A stitch in time ....

Old 01-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #23
Master Chef

Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to run into a "no yolker" unless you're purchasing your eggs direct from a farm.

The commercial folks candle all their eggs, & a "no yolker" would definitely be discarded. The only reason "double yolkers" sometimes sneak through is because the yolks are frequently alligned so that they look like one large yolk to the candler. If the yolks are totally separate, they're removed as well, since the commercial egg producers don't want the "average American housewife" to be disturbed if she comes across twin yolks & stops buying their eggs.

Like I said before - commercial egg production is all about conformity.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Question Hard Boiled Lifetime

Daisey said that hardboiled eggs should keep about a week in the fridge. Is that in or out of the shell - or does it matter?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i throw mine at elfie's house.

if she pulls out a pans a whips up something delicious, then i know the eggs are good.

you don't wanna know "if not"...
That was YOU outside my house the other night?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #26
Sous Chef

We buy our eggs from a neighbor. They are brown and I have gotten double yokers several times. Not too often. Perhaps one in a year. I never need to worry "are they fresh" ? There is a difference in organic eggs.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
What Daisy said, ie. shaking an egg next to your ear to see (or rather hear) if it's rotten works without fail for me. Eggs that have gone bad make the characteristic sound of something splashing around inside the shell while fresh eggs make no sound at all.

For those not used to this method of detection, a word of caution might be in order. Do not hold the egg too tightly or shake too energetically. It is not that in case you do so you will fail to detect a rotten egg. Detection will be as easy or even easier in this case. However, there may be undesirable side effects, if you know what I mean.
I'm really confused here. Who is Daisy, and where are her posts on this thread? I see nothing about shaking eggs.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
I'm really confused here. Who is Daisy, and where are her posts on this thread? I see nothing about shaking eggs.
I'm with suzyQ3. Who is Daisy? The first reference to "Daisy" was in post #3, but I saw no mention of Daisy in posts #1 or #2. Then, to confuse matters even more, several other posters referenced and/or thanked Daisy for her information later on in this thread.

Am I living in the Twilight Zone because I've read ALL the posts and I still have no clue who Daisy is?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

EGGs-traordinary

There WAS a post here, detailing how long one could keep eggs in various stages/forms; that's why I asked the question I did. We all seem to be in the twilight zone.
I still need the answer to my question
Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I'm with suzyQ3. Who is Daisy? The first reference to "Daisy" was in post #3, but I saw no mention of Daisy in posts #1 or #2. Then, to confuse matters even more, several other posters referenced and/or thanked Daisy for her information later on in this thread.

Am I living in the Twilight Zone because I've read ALL the posts and I still have no clue who Daisy is?
I agree...who is Daisy?

Tags
None