How to check if an Egg is Rotten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grannyma said:
floating in water is the best way to test for bad eggs
the best way to hard boil an egg (without getting a black line around the yolk) is to bring the eggs to the boil and immediately turn off the heat and let them stand in the pan covered for ten minutes, The run under cold water until they are cold before you shell them. This never fails.:chef:grannyma

Will they come out completely done doing it this way? That's how I do diced or cubed potatoes.

I als have an egg timer that you place in the pot of eggs just before adding the water. According to the areas that turn black, that determines the doneness of the egg.

Last edited:
Sniffing? Shaking? Floating? Breaking into a separate bowl? Where do you people buy your eggs, from a street vendor in a third world country?

I have never, ever encountered a bad egg (in the literal sense of course. There are a lot "bad eggs" around and I have probably been invloved with most of those in one way or another) in over 30 years of cooking.

I have never come across a bad egg that had an unbroken shell. I always check a carton of eggs for cracked shells and expiration date.

It's a real challenge to buy eggs in Aruba. Sometimes the shelf has carton after carton of eggs with mostly cracked shells so you have to mix and match to get a whole dozen. They are often stored outside the chilled case on the floor. That's when there are eggs at all.

I've come across bad eggs several times.

And yes Caine, believe it or not, a floating egg DEFINITELY DOES signify that the egg has gone south. That's a sure-fire way to know whether the egg is good or not when it's put in water.

And breaking an egg into a separate bowl IS good practice because you never know if the egg is really good until you crack it anyway.

And oh yes, I buy my eggs at the supermarket in my area.

How do you tell if a hard boiled egg is bad?

I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I just went to eat one and part of the yolk was gray. I've read that the gray is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However, I've never seen one this gray before. None of the other eggs were this gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad. I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I didn't eat it. Would it have been ok to eat?

If it floats in the water, then get rid of it.

Yes, overboiled eggs CAN make the yolks gray. It's happened to me many times.

The smell is normal. when eggs are boiled in the shells. You've probably never cooked or eaten boiled eggs before.

Corey123 said:
I've come across bad eggs several times.

And breaking an egg into a separate bowl IS good practice

Like I said, I've been cooking for over 30 years. I don't NEED to practice!

Back
Top Bottom