"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to NisAznMonk
How to make scrambled eggs?

n00b chef back in the house!!

The problem: how to make scrambled eggs

I watched a video on expertvillage.com on how to make scrambled eggs but I'm unsure of what cream to use. [To see the video click here]

To verify my findings I did a search and saw this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
...Or, some perfectly scrambled eggs (mix some cream in before you scramble them, along with salt and pepper - and scramble them in some real butter - and dont' be stingy with it either Cook them on low and take a rubber scraper that can handle the heat and keep the "curds" of egg nice and big and don't let anything brown)
What type of cream am I supposed to use, and what amount? I've heard of milk, but I'm a skim milk type of guy. Is that ok? I'm just cooking for 1 person, so I assume 2 eggs would be enough.

About me! : http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ere-22248.html
NisAznMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Oh, and I've heard of people using club soda if they want a "lighter and fluffier" egg dish. Have you heard of that? I'd like to use skim milk or a whey protein shake if possible....but I'm listening to any suggestions that ya'll may have

Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Master Chef

Well, I've never cooked scrambled eggs like that, so, this is a new one for me.
The cream can be half and half.

I have always put the eggs in a bowl and beat them with a wisk, adding milk or cream, then putting them into the pan of butter and easiley stirring them around until done.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NisAznMonk View Post
n00b chef back in the house!!

The problem: how to make scrambled eggs

I watched a video on expertvillage.com on how to make scrambled eggs but I'm unsure of what cream to use. [To see the video click here]

To verify my findings I did a search and saw this post:

What type of cream am I supposed to use, and what amount? I've heard of milk, but I'm a skim milk type of guy. Is that ok? I'm just cooking for 1 person, so I assume 2 eggs would be enough.

I've used everything from skim milk to heavy whipping cream and it will come as no surprise that the cream ones tasted best.

If using low fat milk, I would just reduce the amount you use somewhat, so you don't change the texture. Skim milk has more water, thus you run the risk of steaming the eggs if using too much.

As for cooking them, there is no substitute for experience. I use medium-high heat. Other suggest low heat.

I usually end up overcooking my eggs on low heat because it takes so long for the curds to form. I like to cook them quickly until just holding together and let the residual heat finish them on the plate. I find they come out with the best texture this way and are tender.

But of course the slow cookers have their methods too.

To make up for the skim milk, you can throw a little cheese in there, but of course, that will change the taste.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

For 2 eggs how much cream should I use?

What if I decided to only cook scrambled egg whites? Would that require more eggs and cream?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Too much cream or milk, and your eggs will be runny. Honestly, I never measure mine, I just splash some in. I think 1/4 cup would be the most I would use for 2 eggs.

Also, make sure the heat is not too high, otherwise the eggs will stick to the pan, and you'll have a tough time cleaning it!

Also, if you have a bit of cheese, grate or chop it up, and toss it on top of the eggs and cover the pan with a plate -- off the heat, of course. The cheese will melt into the eggs and it will be heaven on a plate!

Chopped green onions, chives, bacon bits (real ones, not simulated) are all great additions to scrambled eggs, too.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

To make a "healthier" scrambled egg dish... should i use butter, margarine, or olive oil?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

There have been a few posts here, and they are all good. The vidieo link showed you one person's idea of the "prefect" scambled egg, made in the pan.

I am going to change things up a bit and give you maybe more info than you want. But I believe that the more information you have, the greater chance you have for making your very own "perfect" scrambled eggs.

Unlike in the video, most people pre-mix there eggs in a bowl. Usually two eggs are used, with a splash of water, milk, or cream added, depending on the texture you want. Salt and seasonings are often added at this time as well, so that they are evenly distributed throughout the eggs.

For my eggs, I use two large eggs, with about 3 tbs. of whole milk. I add a pinch of salt (about an eighth tsp.) with a dash of course-grind black pepper. I place real butter into a well-seasoned cast iron skillet (10 inch) and let melt over medium heat. I then add the eggs and begin stirring after about ten seconds. I let the eggs cook undisturbed for another ten seconds or so, and begin folding the eggs on top of each other until all of the egg is nearly set. I plate and let residual heat finish the dish.

For my wife, she likes her eggs drier, and so I let them cook in the pan until all of the egg is set completely.

I know people who insist on using cream, which makes a richer flavor in the egg. I know people who add water because they like their scrambled eggs to ooze water on the plate and be very, very moist. Then, still others I know add an extra yolk to the mixture to make the eggs more luxurious and give them more flavor.

There are a host of people that will saute chopped onion, celery, cooked bacon bits, or chopped ham, etc., in the pan before adding their scrambled egg mixture to the pan. The extra ingredients are then incorporated into the cooking eggs.

Many people place either sliced American cheese, or Velveeta cheese onto the eggs just before they are done, stirring them in to coat every egg chunk. Other favorite cheeses to use are Muenster, Havarti, Swiss, Cream Cheese, Creme' Fresh, Parmisano-Reggiano, Monterey-Jack, Various grades of Cheddar, Colby, Edam, Gruyere, well, you get the picture.

Each cheese has it's own personality, texture, and flavor when melted. Depending on what you like, there is a cheese that will go well with your eggs. You might even try one of the veined cheeses, like Gorganzola.

And don't forget that different fats will give different flavor. Butter is the standard by which other fats are measured. But for health issues, it is not widely known, but pork fat is actually lower in cholesteral than is real butter, with is healthier than margerine. Olive oil, or the nut derived oils are much healthier than either butter or pork fat. And if you enjoy the flavor of an extra-virgin olive oil, use it. Just be aware that there is a flavor that you may love, or not. The nut and seed oils, such as sunflower, safflower, walnut, peanut, etc. are great and healthier oils, but have little to no flavor, depending on which one you use. And they have higher smoking points as well.

For me, I use either bacon grease, sausage grease, or butter for my scrambled eggs, depending on my mood.

So my advise is to read everything that everyone says to you, and then play with variations. There is no one way to make "perfect" scrambled eggs. But you will find a combination of technique and flavor that will be perfect for you.

Oh, and one final tip that most people don't know; if you want silky smooth scrambled eggs, that are suprememly tender, after mixing your eggs with whatever you are going to mix them with, pour them trough a fine-mesh wire strainer to remove the little protien strings found in the egg.

Now, break out the pan, and find the recipe that is perfect for you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Senior Cook

My son add evaporated milk to the eggs (unsalted evaporated milk)

Dodi's Home Page
Dodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

In my opinion pure great scrambled eggs can only be made in a double boiler.

That being said, I hardly ever make them that way.

Try frying them with spinach, bacon that has been crumbled, and some mushrooms, the canned will do nicely. Remember them from a place I used to go in college and they are great.

Course usually add some Worchestershire sauce and a bit of hot sauce.

But eggs, as Goodweed has noted, as such wonderful vessels for so many flavors.

Almost anything savory you have in your fridge will work in scrambled eggs.

Ham, shrooms, asparagus, of course onion including shallots and scallions, diced peppers, diced Italian sausage, or Chinese sausage, garlic chives or any chives, even small shrimp or crayfish bits.

The scrambled egg is a palate for the cook as the easel is to the artist. There are so many ways to make them. Just use your creativity and enjoy.

Tags
None