I forgot to put cheese in the fridge overnight. Safe to eat or throw out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a dumb kid, I had a job at the golf course working on the landscape crew during the summers. One day I brought crackers and a block of smoked gouda for lunch. I finished most of it, but then I guess the rest fell under the seat ( wrapped up in a ziplock), but forgotten about it.
Fast forward a few weeks later, I forgot my lunch so I was rummaging through the car to see what I had available, and sure enough, there was the smoked gouda ( having spent weeks in a car that sat out in the summer sun day after day). Being hungry ( and a dumb kid) I unwrapped it, smelled it , seemed ok, so, thats what I had for lunch that day.
30 years later, Im still alive to talk about it.

There's a moral in that story somewhere, just not sure what it is :)

LOL Larry - we all have stories like that!

I am lucky mine wasn't too bad...
When I was first living on my own back in the 60's, came home very late from work, nothing to really make a meal with, found some dry salami that looked a little green.

I had heard that you could just cut off a big chunk of it and it would be fine. :rolleyes: So I did, it tasted good, went with a morsel of crusty bread, went to bed.

A while later from a sound sleep, I sat straight up in bed, projectiled stomach contents all over the bedspread. :ermm:

:LOL:Wont' do that again! :LOL:

We were directed by corporate to build a wine display with a specific cheese that was to be displayed during the day without refrigeration, it was vacuum sealed in the factory. Our state health inspector showed up and we lost two points because of that cheese. We showed her the direction from corporate and she wanted nothing to do with it, she wanted confirmation from the manufacturer. It was freaking hard, aged, vacuum sealed cheese!

I did some shopping on a Thursday and when I took the bags out of my car, I guess the ham had fallen out. I didn't miss it until Monday. I debated with myself, but I figured those were the nights when the temps were practically at freezing and the days weren't much warmer. Besides, the car is in a garage where it's always cold anyway.

So I ate part of the ham and I have the rest in the freezer right now. I guess I'll use the rest, too.

When I had my "French Misconnection" in Marseille. That same bistro offered a cheese course. All of the cheese was served at room temperature and the cheese board would be passed from table to table if ordered. Between tables they would replenish the board.

We were directed by corporate to build a wine display with a specific cheese that was to be displayed during the day without refrigeration, it was vacuum sealed in the factory. Our state health inspector showed up and we lost two points because of that cheese. We showed her the direction from corporate and she wanted nothing to do with it, she wanted confirmation from the manufacturer. It was freaking hard, aged, vacuum sealed cheese!
Yes, we have problems with health inspectors over here.

A few years ago they went round the artisan cheese manufacturers telling them they had to replace the traditional slatted wood shelves that the cheeses were matured on with stainless steel shelves.......The cheeses went bad rather quickly!!

Eating cold cheese is a lot like eating cold chocolate. While it's not bad, it's better at room temp.

Eating cold cheese is a lot like eating cold chocolate. While it's not bad, it's better at room temp.

Hmmm! I disagree to a certain extent on the cold chocolate. Frozen chocolate on a tea biscuit is divine! Can't remember the name of them, but for a lonnnnng time we kept a box in the freezer to snack on in the evenings! Yummmm.

But I certainly agree on the cold cheese, that's a no-no... - has to be room temperature - be sure to take it out in advance!

Yes, we have problems with health inspectors over here.

A few years ago they went round the artisan cheese manufacturers telling them they had to replace the traditional slatted wood shelves that the cheeses were matured on with stainless steel shelves.......The cheeses went bad rather quickly!!

I appreciate them trying to keep us safe, but it definitely not a black and white issue, common sense needs to be part of their inspection!

Must have been someone else. I haven't noticed common sense in "gubmint" yet. ;)

Wait, what. You said you saw me? HOW BIG do you think I am???? Redeem yourself and say you were using a high-powered telescope. :D

Must have been someone else. I haven't noticed common sense in "gubmint" yet. ;)

Wait, what. You said you saw me? HOW BIG do you think I am???? Redeem yourself and say you were using a high-powered telescope. :D

The both of us, walking on the moon about a crater apart...

Aha! I couldn't clean my lens last night of two little specks moving around on it. Now I know it was you guys! :ohmy: Please wave flags next time so I stop trying to scrub you off.

Back
Top Bottom