"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef
ahhh genealogy, now that's something I can sink my teeth into. Yes, indeed, Zaring, spelled Zehrung in the old country, is German. But my ancestors arrived on this continent between 300 and 400 years ago. So I lost any ethnicity around the beginning of the 1800's. My Zarings arrived in the late 1600's in Pennslyvania, then to Kentucky and Indiana by the late 1700's and then to Iowa by 1850, where my father was born. I knew none of my Zaring ancestors. I have had genealogical DNA testing completed and found I am 94% western European, mostly British Isles, and 6% Middle Eastern, including Bedouin and Bedouin South. So my goat herding comes naturally.

Anyway I know nothing about German cooking, I would consult a French cookbook for seasoning of raw ground beef.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
I have a limited experience with German food but I have been making sour bratten with ginger snap gravy and home made spaetzel on the side---for years. My ancestors came to the USA from Italy about 100 years ago and all 4 grandparents became proud citizens. I miss ethnic anything being in Florida. The Greeks are the only ones who have a festival at the local orthodox church.

Don't trust the news media
scotty71 is offline   Reply With Quote