"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Yakuta
You see Chatwon, I am originally from India and we use yogurt in marinades, gravies, lassi (a yogurt drink), salads, fast food/lipsmackingly good sweet, sour and creamy preparations, potato salads etc.

Try marinating chicken in it and then grill it for starters.
I hear a new cookbook coming out...

I will try the chicken soak later, but how about the potato salad? It might be more healthly than using mayo... Could you share a recipe here?

Chatwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
WOW! That is going in my book as 'Yakuta's Indian Yoghurt'. That worked amazingly well. Who needs a yoghurt maker? I opened the oven on Saturday morning and there was this beautifully solid, and very large, pot of yoghurt waiting for me. And it tastes great! The only problem is that I'm never going to use that much. I like yoghurt, but I'm the only one in the house who eats it for breakfast, everyone else only cooks with it. Still what a great situation to be in from my previous flops. Thank you so much

nutthick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Head Chef
Nutthick it's good to know you were able to increase your yield

Try making mango lassi. I promise once you try it you will love it. All you gotta do is add fresh or pureed mangoes (puree cans are available at any Indian or Asian stores) and add sugar to your liking and blend and serve. I am sure you can convert folks once they taste how good it is.

Chatwon, the potato salad I make is not the traditional kind. It's unconventional but works well if you are into healthy cooking and like to experiment with ethnic foods. I have two recipes for you.

Recipe # 1

2 potatoes boiled skinned and cut into cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup fronzen peas
(Note: I normally bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the peas and corns to it and let it boil for a minute, then I drain it and reserve. It gets rid of the freezer taste for me and makes it fresher).
1 tsp cumin powder (make it fresh by toasting cumin seeds and then powdering them)
1/2 cup of cilantro finely chopped
1 tsp of red chilli powder (or cayanne will do)
2 cups of plain yogurt
salt to taste
sugar to taste (I like mine slightly sweet)

In a bowl stir in the yogurt and add the salt, sugar, cumin powder, chilli powder and cilantro. Mix togther to combine (adjust, salt, chilli and sugar to yoru liking). Now stir in the potatoes, corn and peas. Let the flavors marinate for 20 minutes or so prior to serving.

I like to garnish mine with some crunchy stuff (sev is what we commonly use in Indian household but if you can't find it you can substitute that with crushed baked lays).

Recipe # 2

1 large can garbanzo beans (drain, rinse and reserve)
3 potatoes diced
1 red onion cut, rinsed (to remove the sharpness) and finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 cup of cilantro finely chopped
1/2 cup of fresh mint finely chopped
2 tsp of tamarind chutney (made by mixing tamarind pulp - available again in most asian stores) and sugar. Note: Tamarind is very tart. I add 2 tbsp of tamarind pulp, along with a cup of applesauce and sugar to make my chutney).
salt to taste
3 cups of plain yogurt

In a bowl, stir in the yogurt, cumin, salt, tamarind chutney, mint, cilantro, onions and jalapeno. Stir it to combine. Then add the garbanzo and potatoes and stir in lightly. Let the flavors come together for 20 minutes or so and then serve.

These salads are perfect for the summer months when you are in the mood for something as a side to BBQ's. They have no oil in them and very little fat which make them high on my list of healthy but tasty foods that I like to consume.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Exclamation New Thread for Recipes!

I started a new Thread for this Yogurt talk, look to:

I hope you don't mind, but you are the "Star" of the thread. Meanwhile, I'm going to try out your Recipe # 2. I got some small red potatoes at the store today just for it!
I picked #2 because I never buy or use kernnel corn in anything. And #2 looked real tasty.
See you over there.
Chatwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Question milk to yogurt starter proportions?

oh oh! I want to make Yakuta's yogurt too!

Problem is, I don't think we'd go though a 1/2 gal of yogurt so I'd like to make about a quart (ummm, that's about 32 oz right?) of yogurt - but I can't figure out how much yogurt starter to add.

Could you give the amount of yogurt starter to use per pint and per quart of milk?

I have a partially finished 32-oz container of Dannon plain yogurt in the 'frig now I could use for the starter so I'm hoping for an answer before family finishes it off.

Ooops! forgot to ask also whether material of container matters - is a stainless steel bowl ok? should I use a glass bowl instead?

Thanks so much!
subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Head Chef
Hi Sub I have always made it with the smallest size dannon yogurt can mixed with 1/2 gallon of milk and that proportions works well for me.

If you have less than that to make the left over from the can should do. Just ensure you have atleast 1/4 cup of yogurt. Also follow the steps to bring it to room temperature and soften it with the warmed and then cooled milk and then stir it with the milk completely before placing it in the oven.

I normally use a stainless steel bowl with a lid to set my yogurt and then place that in the refrigerator to cool. I avoid glass and plastic. Stainless works better for me.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #17
Senior Cook
thank gooodness!!!

I am so glad to finally have gotten to the bottom of this homemade yogurt business. I also have had several failed attempts at it, wouldn't set up for me! I am off to the kitchen now to try again, this time I will follow the steps exactly. I think I didn't mix w/ the warm first, just stirred it right into the whole pot! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote