Interesting eggs - what are they called and how are they made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I was out to lunch the other day and I ordered an open faced tuna sandwich that was very creative. Included fried bread, seared tuna, spinach, anchovies, garlic mayo and some kind of vinaigrette.

BUT to the point, it also included an egg. The egg white was cooked and the yolk left raw.

How do you do that to an egg and what is it called?

Same idea only the white was cooked as if it had been hard boiled. It had an egg shape to it. The yolk had the same taste and feel of a poached egg though, warm, a little thick but runny.

That would be a medium boiled egg...

g_86.jpg

It was definitely poached.

Put some water in a skillet and to that water add about 1 TBS of white vinegar and a few pinches of salt. Once the water comes to a boil turn it way down and gently crack an egg into the water. Place a lid on the skillet. The vinegar holds the white together so it doesn't spread all over the skillet. Once the white looks set (may take about 7 - 10 minutes) GENTLY scoop out the egg being sure to gently scrape on the very bottom of it if it seems to stick. I use a spoon with slots or a pancake turner with slots. GENTLY place some folded paper towns on top of the egg, turn over to remove the excess water, turn back over and you now have a poached egg ready to eat. Poached eggs on salads such as this are quite elegant and tasty.

Be sure you have enough water in the skillet so the egg doesn't sit on the bottom but more floats. Take your spatula and gently nudge the egg occasionally to keep it from sticking.

A couple poached eggs in a bowl with a pat of butter is comfort food for breakfast!

The egg wasn't flat, still had the egg shape and was cut in half and set on the side of the sandwich.

Soft boiled egg - place egg in cold water and bring to a boil. At the boiling point I like it to cook for 2 minutes. The size of the egg and the temperature of the egg at the time of cooking will affect the cooking times. For a mediium boiled egg it should take maybe 45 seconds to a minute longer? Don't really know as I always cook mine soft-boiled.

In that case, it probably was a soft-boiled egg. Still, the sandwich sounds super.

Don't worry Katie - I saw flat too! :LOL: Yes, it was probably soft or medium-boiled. Soft-boiled the yellow would be running out. Medium-boiled the yolk would be more set but still soft.

Back
Top Bottom