International Cheese Platter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am fond of goat cheese too. Mrs Hoot, on the other hand will not even try it.
She says it ain't normal.
Hoot, I had a sister-in-law who wouldn't try it for the same reason. Then a couple of years ago, when she and her husband came to visit, I made them an omelet with goat cheese. She said, "I love this filling. What is it?" I told her it was "chevre" (the French word for goat cheese). Now she can't get enough of it.

Funny how a change of words can make all the difference. :)

I wouldn't say that there aren't any cheeses I don't like, I've met a couple I couldn't get past my nose to reach my mouth. But about 99% I love. One happy serendipity is that I landed in America's Dairyland (OK, that's Wisconsin, within walking distance). One favorite thing to do is a few times a year we get in the car and just hop from cheese factory to cheese factory. Within a few hours we have dozens, to include a goat cheese place, one that makes fresh curds every Friday (the locals line up to get them warm from the vat), and more kinds of blue than you can imagine, cheddars and swisses anything from fresh to aged 20 years or more, and of course, many of the local artisinal cheesemakers' own invention. When my parents were healthy enough to travel, they visited, and I made Daddy very very happy because his father had been a cheesemaker in Quebec, so I took him to one of our smaller cheese factories and they put sanitary stuff on us (shower caps, shoe covers, etc) and took us from the place where they tested the incoming tankers of milk for undesireable elements (they made them dump the milk then and there) through the entire process. Dad was in heaven. I hate calling them factories, though, seems opposite of the crafts places they are. Talk about pride of product. If I start calling them fromageries, I suspect everyone will think I'm pretentious! I'm also lucky enough to have a local deli where one side of the fridge is imports of all sorts, the other is artisinal local cheese. My husband jokes that other men buy their wives chocolates, he has to go to the deli and find just the right blue.

Claire,
Sure wish I lived closer to that kind of thing. It must be grand!
One of these days, I am gonna have to see about traveling up north to see that part of the country afore I shuffle off this old world.

Happy July 4th and Buonasera Claire,

Thanks for your feedback. A Dairy is a wonderful treat for sampling cheeses ranging from fresh, semi hard or aged ... Lovely way to spend a couple of hours ...

Have fun,
Ciao, Margi.

Buon Giorno Kylie,

Thank you for your feedback. I like Camembert very much ... and I enjoy preparing herb breaded fried Brie ...

Ciao.
Margi.

Last edited:
Buonasera,

Has anybody ever been to or tasted:

When we were travelling through Jura, which is on the French Swiss border and is home to an array of gastronomic divinities, we had stopped at a Fromagerie, called Michelin in the village of St. Point Lac. This treasure is called Mont d´Or and the most famous dish of its employ is Fondue with Kirsch, the clear cherry brandy which prevents bowel stiffness when used in Fondue.

Has anybody tried it ?

Have a lovely wkend.
Margaux.

Margi do yourself a favor and try to find some aged JW Lees Harvest Ale, an incredible English Barleywine that is a stunning match for big bold cheese.
In fact here is a good site to start you on your way to beer/cheese heaven
Pairing Beer and Cheese

Last edited:
Niquejim,

I have dear friends in the U.K. plus I could ask about here at the British Pubs and see this English Barley ...

Good link, and thanks for posting ...

USA beer is a rarity in the Mediterranean ...

I have to say, that we are wine aficionados ( fans ) and truly enjoy sparkling white wines and whites or Rosés or oak aged Reds ... We collect some good boutique wine finds ...

We shall see what we can do to find this UK beer ... I personally like Black beer from Germany and Mexico, which is available in both Italia and Spain.

Appreciate the website link - good for expanding knowledge.
Kind regards,
Margi.

No more than 7 pieces of cheese on my NATIONAL ideal platter:

1- A stinky taleggio (cow milk)
2- A piquant gorgonzola (cow milk)
3- A runny squacquerone (cow milk)
4- A powerful pecorino (sheep milk)
5- A savory caprino (goat milk)
6- A classic fontina (cow milk)
7- A royal parmigiano (cow milk)

:yum:

Luca: Buonasera, e Grazie

:yum: Sounds divino ... and just what the doctor ordered to serve my older daughter & the 2 kids, who just arrived in Bari ... and a great Prosecco white sparkling wine ... The wood table on the terrace in photo, and sea breezes with Adriatic ...
Ciao.
Sempre,
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom