ISO cost friendly fondue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just found one at Trader Joe's I bought it for the simple reason it was made with a beer instead of wine..I added a little garlic and nutmeg and was pleased with the flavor..Seems to me, make it yourself but do NOT differ with someone who chooses to use one already made. There is nothing wrong with already made. We all need to realize that young mothers working moms want the best for their family just as we do..Give them the respect they deserve for how hard they work..Just because I like and enjoy from scratch, doesn't make any better than they are..It just tells me I have more time.. :)
Foodie, maybe, maybe not I just love making my family happy and that is what counts.Never apologize for what you enjoy, just look at your families face's that is all you need.
kadesma
If you are responding to me, I absolutely agree with you. Most days I cook for one, and enjoy the chase almost as much as the preparation and tasting. When I have guests, I start from scratch.

IMO, one of the most thankless and difficult jobs around would be feeding a family, each with different tastes, different schedules, and on a budget, 7 days a week, and generally after a full day at another job. I do appreciate the packaged and semi prepared stuff.

If you are responding to me, I absolutely agree with you. Most days I cook for one, and enjoy the chase almost as much as the preparation and tasting. When I have guests, I start from scratch.

IMO, one of the most thankless and difficult jobs around would be feeding a family, each with different tastes, different schedules, and on a budget, 7 days a week, and generally after a full day at another job. I do appreciate the packaged and semi prepared stuff.
Bigjim,
I wasn't speaking to anyone inpaticular,just observing.Many times these threads start out with an innocent question and then a tempest in a teapot develops..I think as people who enjoy food we should come together and enjoy what life has to offer and each other..My biggest joy is the grand children who come each Sunday for Ma's ( that's me) dinner..They all seem to just enjoy the meal and each other, the laughter that fills my home is priceless. I hope to see more of you and also that we can share cooking joys.
kadesma

PC brand makes a good packaged version... add a little wine and rub the pot with garlic. I have also tried doing it with the cheeses and kirsh and it is very expensive and very time consuming.
Thepackages as said previous work and taste quite similar to the labourious task of gratingall that cheese.

I love chesse fondue but feel it is just so bad for you...lol

With all due respect, fondue is not at all time consuming. The only thing that takes any time at all is grating or cubing the cheese. Which can be done in a food processor in about 15 seconds.

I've tried the packages and IMO they are OK, but aren't even close to a real Swiss fondue, which is a beautiful thing.

Each time I make a cheese fondue it ends up costing at least $20.00 for just the cheese. Good cheese is SO expensive here!

Here in the Midwest (US) I buy imported Swiss Emmenthaler for $7/lb. and Gruyère for $13/lb. Since a single recipe calls for 1/2lb. of each, I only spend $10 for the cheese ever. The wine, we have on-hand, but I don't use the kirsch. The other ingredients are pennies. We are able to make a really good, authentic fondue for about $15 when you include the wine. It's too rich to eat very often, anyway, so it's not a budget-breaker, IMO.

(This doesn't include the crudités or bread or whatever you're dipping, but even those can be very inexpensive if you grow a garden and make your own bread.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom