"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post

Do brown eggs cook faster?

Brown Eggs is my secret weapon making good egg salad.

Having grown up with a Mother who was careless and easily distracted by sqabbling/ rambunctious kids and a school lunch lady who was in cahoots with her. I need all the help i can get. Starting with Removing All the egg shells before the mash up. To this day, I layer the sandwich with potato chips on top and before the lettuce. Just in case. LOL.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
Master Chef

I add my eggs to cold salted water, bring to a boil. Simmer for 7 minutes and then run cold water over them to stop them from cooking further. The whites are cooked and the yolks just barely soft, just the way I like them.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I never let my eggs come to a full boil. Once they come to a simmer, I remove them from the heat and let them sit covered. I don't time them. Only because I make hard boiled eggs for future use.

It is the hard boiling on the water for an extended time that gives you the green ring around the yolk. BTW, it is the sulphur in the white of the egg that causes the green ring. Not the yolk.

I very rarely eat an egg for a meal. Thus I keep hb eggs in the fridge for a snack only. Sometimes I will make egg salad with them. But I like the idea of just reaching in the fridge and taking a cooked egg and eating it as a snack. I do not peel them until I am ready to eat one.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Master Chef

I also use the cover with cold water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit covered for 15-20 minutes.

It works every time and gives a nice tender yet firm hard boiled egg.

My question is how long can I safely keep the unshelled hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator prior to using them.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by radunn View Post
Thank you for the post. Yesterday I tried this method but about " of the egg was above water; can this result in egg being undercooked? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh yeah. Make sure the water covers it by at least half an inch. Sounds like you didn't have enough water in the pan.
It's hard to get an older egg with a large air pocket inside to stay underneath the water, no matter how much water you put in

Radunn, that little bit of the shell poking up above the water surface won't affect anything. The egg inside will still cook. Just make sure you start with enough water so it doesn't evaporate away.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

The air pocket is why you poke a hole in the shell at the fat end of the egg. It lets the air out. Use a push pin to make the hole.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I caught a show on how to boil the perfect egg a couple of weeks ago.

Put the eggs in a single layer in the pan. Cover with cold water. The eggs should be covered by 1 " of water. Bring to boil with the lid off. Put on the lid, remove from heat. Let sit 8 minutes if you want a softer yolk, 10 if you want a firmer yolk. Drain, cover with cold water, let sit 10 minutes. Re: adding salt, vinegar, baking soda to the water. The water and eggs would have to boil for an hour to change the alkaline level. Re: Fresh eggs and older eggs, supposedly the above technique works. I plan on trying it later this afternoon with a dozen fresh eggs as I still have to make pickled eggs today.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Adding salt to the water makes for easier peeling. I don't know why it works, but it really does.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Adding salt to the water makes for easier peeling. I don't know why it works, but it really does.
According to the food sicentist on the show I watched, that is a myth unless the eggs are in the water for one hour or more.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I took yesterday's eggs (18), put them in a pan added cold water, 1" over the top of the eggs. Brought this to a boil. I removed the pan from the burner when the boil was "rolling" but not so much of a boil that the eggs were bouncing. I popped a lid on, removed the pan from the burner, set the timer for 10 minutes. I then drained the pan and added cold water + the cubes from 1 ice cube tray. Set the timer for 10 minutes. IT WORKS. The eggs peeled clean (I peeled them in the pan of water). No salt. No vinegar. No baking soda. Fresh eggs. No whites coming off on the shell. Now to pickle the eggs.

Tags
egg, other