"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO hard boiled egg basics

How much do you put in the pan? I've heard 1" in the pan to covering them 1" above etc..

When a recipe says bring to a boil with medium heat etc., does that mean a rapid boil or the 1st sight of a bubble?

I sat an egg in a pan, it would not layout oblong, rather, it positioned itself with the wide end closest to the surface; what does this indicate about that egg? In advance thanks!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!

I just hard boiled 6 eggs. If your egg is upright, it may have some age on it, which should be fine. Young eggs are impossible to peel.

I put mine in a pan, cover with water up to 1/2 to 1 inch over the eggs. Water on medium high, come to a rolling boil. Remove from the burner and cover with a lid. Set aside for 12 minutes (I use a timer.) Drain the pot and flood with cold water with ice. Store in fridge.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That's how I hard cook mine, too. It might even be the method in the red & white Better Homes cookbook.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Master Chef

I cover by 1" with cold water. Bring to rapid boil then lower to simmer for 7 minutes. Turn heat off and allow to sit in hot water another 2 minutes. Then drain and run cold water over till cold enough to hold in pam of hand without getting burned. Then peel and use or place in fridge in shell or out.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC!

I just hard boiled 6 eggs. If your egg is upright, it may have some age on it, which should be fine. Young eggs are impossible to peel.

I put mine in a pan, cover with water up to 1/2 to 1 inch over the eggs. Water on medium high, come to a rolling boil. Remove from the burner and cover with a lid. Set aside for 12 minutes (I use a timer.) Drain the pot and flood with cold water with ice. Store in fridge.
Thank you for the post. Yesterday I tried this method but about ˝" of the egg was above water; can this result in egg being undercooked? Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radunn View Post
Thank you for the post. Yesterday I tried this method but about ˝" of the egg was above water; can this result in egg being undercooked? Thanks
Oh yeah. Make sure the water covers it by at least half an inch. Sounds like you didn't have enough water in the pan.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

OH NO! It's the Hard Boiled Egg Question Again

Welcome to DC radunn. No insult intended but this is a question that keeps popping up so I dug up the older versions on this topic to give you a quick start.

Please take a few minutes to read the contents of the three threads linked below. It's more than you ever want to know on the subject.

How to make the perfect boiled egg…

Differing opinions for the pefect hard boiled egg

How do you boil an egg?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

BUT ................ Remember the the debate over boiling water?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Hey. Learning how to boil eggs is the 2nd lesson after boiling water.

I fill the pan 3/quarters full. pan size determined by how many eggs. Add the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil Cover. Let sit. I don't time it , but it's in minutes, not hours. Run up your water bill by cooling under cold running water.

Now, If I want an egg salad sandwich for lunch, one egg is not quite enought, 2 eggs is too many. I need to find a hen that lays one big egg and one little egg. and how do you figure boiling time for that, if they even have such a thing. I prefer brown eggs.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Hey. Learning how to boil eggs is the 2nd lesson after boiling water.

I fill the pan 3/quarters full. pan size determined by how many eggs. Add the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil Cover. Let sit. I don't time it , but it's in minutes, not hours. Run up your water bill by cooling under cold running water.

Now, If I want an egg salad sandwich for lunch, one egg is not quite enought, 2 eggs is too many. I need to find a hen that lays one big egg and one little egg. and how do you figure boiling time for that, if they even have such a thing. I prefer brown eggs.

Do brown eggs cook faster?

Tags
egg, other