"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Head Chef
Pytn, I do the same. I was told that adding salt to the water helps to get the shell off easily and adding vinegar to the water keeps the eggs "together" in case they crack while boiling.

Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Master Chef
Actually the salt thing has nothing to do with shelling. It does the same thing vinegar would. keeps eg "together", nothing else.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Sous Chef
All that I know is that my egg shells come off easily when I salt the H20 and when I forget to salt the water the shell stick in an annoying way.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
Head Chef
Thanks for the info. I always wash the eggs anyway after I collect them ( considering where they came from :p ). Also, sometimes I dont collect them everyday, so they do sit outside, and were not dying here in New York either. I will try the letting sit for a week or 2 so they are not as ' fresh' to see if it works. I have nothing to lose, and plenty of eggs to experiment with. What is strange, is that we have 2 varieties of chickens. One has brown eggs, the other blue. And it seems the browns are easier to peel than the blue. Anyway, thanks again,

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Head Chef
I just accidently came across this site when I was looking at some julia child stories.

RecipeSource: The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
Julia had more than one method. I have a version from a magaxzine article where she tells you to fill the pan with hot tap water, bring to a boil for 10 minutes.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote