"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Head Chef
ISO help for shelling eggs for egg salad

I boiled some eggs and let them cool in some cold water. I thought they were cold enuf and they were cool to the touch. I sort of cracked the egg to get it going and the shell sort of split into a million pieces and it was almost impossible to take the shells off. I also notice there was a layer of egg with the bigger shells I did get taking off. I mean all and all I got most of the egg off the shells for the egg salad I'm making for lunches. Wow what a frustrating experience "lol". Does anyone have any hints on taking the shells off of hard boiled eggs?

My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.

Yes ! don't use real fresh eggs, when I know I have to make deviled eggs, - I will buy them two weeks before I need them. Son wanted me to make some today,and I told him I didn't have any older eggs. Fresh eggs just won't peel for me!

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
legend, one of the keys to having the shell come easily off hard-cooked eggs is that it helps if the eggs are at least a week old before they are cooked.

However, I cook eggs even fresher than that by poking a small hole in the large end of the egg with a thumbtack or push pin before I cook them. The tiny hole helps the shells to come off much more readily after cooking.

Another thing you might want to try is, after the eggs are cooked, roll them gently on a damp towel until the shells are quite uniformly cracked and put them in back in the pan with some cold water for a few minutes. Then, peel them under the water.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Head Chef
hmm interesting. I'll have to give it one of these ideas a try sometime. I do believe these eggs are a week old. Perhaps I will try the hole in the egg method first. Thanks
My Blog
legend_018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Head Chef
I guess that explains why my wife cant peel the eggs that we get from our chickens every morning She would use our own chickens eggs for scrambled eggs, and buy older ones from the store for hard boiling. Never quite put the thought into its freshness and peeling. But now i know
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Dont crack it all over the egg, just try cracking it on one or two areas, then peel. Any remaining bits of shell can easily be washed off.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Peel the egg(s) under running water. The water will work itself under the membrane holding the shell to the egg and make it easier to peel off. In fact, it will come off in big sections, along with the membrane.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Master Chef
I also crack the eggs very slightly on the biger end. Just kind of hit on the corner of the kitchen cabinet. Works wonders every time.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Head Chef
Larry, I have chickens, and I have discovered a few things about boiling "real" eggs.

First, wash them. Even if they aren't dirty, wash them, because fresh eggs have a coating on them from the hen that keeps the contents from evaporating. (Store bought eggs are already washed.)

Second, keep them at least a week--two is better.

My mom says she leaves hers out on the counter overnight before boiling as well. (And, no, you won't die of food poisoning if you leave your eggs on the counter. In Europe, eggs are not refrigerated, and the Europeans are not dropping like flies from food poisoning.)
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Sous Chef
O.K. YOu're gonna think I'm nuts, but someone told me to salt the water the eggs are boiling in. Now I put a nice dose of kosher salt into the water. The only time the shells have stuck is when I have forgotten the salt!

PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote