"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson42 View Post
I'm in a part of Mexico that doesn't appear to use whipped cream. My wife bought some heavy cream to use for her fresh strawberry pie, added some sugar and vanilla and proceeded to whip the dickens out of it. I swear we would have turned it into butter if we kept after it! No amount of whipping would incorporate enough air to thicken it. What is the trick? The cream is pasteurized, and I never noticed in the states if it was or not. Never had a problem before. Any tips?
Were you using crema, a.k.a. "Table Cream"? If so, that's your problem, as that's not the same thing as heavy cream in the US. Crema is more like sour cream, than heavy cream.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Talking help whipping cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Were you using crema, a.k.a. "Table Cream"? If so, that's your problem, as that's not the same thing as heavy cream in the US. Crema is more like sour cream, than heavy cream.

The bottle says cream, not Crema Agria, which I like very much. It also isn't the table cream used here to dip fresh fruit in. Seems like plain old heavy cream to me. As luck would have it, though, I spotted a carton of cream with a picture of strawberries floating on a fine cloud of whipped cream and bought it. Will try it to top a fresh banana and mango cream pie. Hope it will be a perfect desert to accompany the first "gringo" style rib dinner this Sunday. On an unrelated thread, we bought and grilled 2 fine Red snappers today. Turned out wonderful, thanks to tips found on this site. (who the **** calls all the flies when one purchases fresh fish???)

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Wilson42, I also live in Mexico, and there are (as you have discovered) many, many types of cream products here. ALL of them are delicious, but the one you want to buy for whipping cream comes in a carton in the dairy section and is labeled "crema para batir" The brand I buy is in a white carton with red lettering and is called "Lyncott." It is 30% butterfat, and I have very good luck using it for whipping cream, even in our humid climate here on the Pacific Coast.

Tags
None