ISO Mushroom Compound Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Anybody ever dry wild mushrooms, pulverize, and make into a compound butter? Alternately, has anyone fried, and chopped wild mushrooms, and made into compound butter.

I just picked about 2 lbs. of wild field mushrooms, the ones with the pink gills. And don't worry. I know these shrooms. I've been picking them for about 40 years now. I love them cleaned, and simply saute'd in butter. But I'm thinking that I could make them go much further by using them to flavor compound butter. Hence the question.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've made a compound butter from dried procinis but I re hydrated them first...

Steps:

1. Soak dried shrooms in hot water for a few mins (use as little water as possible), then drain. save the juice. 1/2 C mushrooms and 1/2 C water
2. Strain the soaking liquid and reduce over high heat.
3. cool every thing down and chop mushrooms finely. Blend with butter along with a little minced garlic and some cracked black pepper, then blend in the reduced mushroom juice. form into a roll and chill overnight. This last bit is really important as the flavors need to develop in the butter.

Awesome on eggs ;)

Steps:

1. Soak dried shrooms in hot water for a few mins (use as little water as possible), then drain. save the juice. 1/2 C mushrooms and 1/2 C water
3. cool every thing down and chop mushrooms finely. Blend with butter along with a little minced garlic and some cracked black pepper, then blend in the reduced mushroom juice. form into a roll and chill overnight. This last bit is really important as the flavors need to develop in the butter.

Awesome on eggs ;)

Thanks. That's what I needed. I'll have to omit the pepper :( as my DW can't eat pepper. Maybe I'll have to make two batches.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Steps:

Awesome on eggs ;)

Could this be frozen successfully?

I am so making this, Thanks Janet. I have dried porcinis and porcini powder, I see a mushroom omelet with brie in my future.

Could this be frozen successfully?

We used to freeze compound butters all the time. Just remember to thaw in the fridge and cut when still fairly solid (not frozen) if you are cutting into slices to put on steaks, veggies etc. Then it melts beautifully with the heat of the food.

We used to freeze compound butters all the time. Just remember to thaw in the fridge and cut when still fairly solid (not frozen) if you are cutting into slices to put on steaks, veggies etc. Then it melts beautifully with the heat of the food.

Thanks. I've frozen butter for years but never compound butters. Appreciate the replies !
:chef:

Back
Top Bottom