ISO Recipes Using Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I have a little under a quart of buttermilk I needed for a recipe last week. What can I do with it? I did find a recipe for buttermilk pie in a cookbook from a very dear friend of mine - but I don't know what it will taste like? Any ideas? Any recipes? Thanks!

I LOVE homemade buttermilk ranch dressing, just plain buttermilk dressing - have that for a couple days then add some bleu cheese to it for a change.

Any recipe with the word "pie" in the title can't be bad, can it????? :)

Michele,
I made Sizz's quick easy peach cobbler and used buttermilk instead of reg. milk,,We all loved it. Try making some biscuits with just biscuick, add 1/4 lb. of diced,fried and drained pancetta and use buttermilk instead of what the package says..I use the whole two cup package for this..You can them use an ice cream scoop the tiny one to make your biscuits and serve them with a good jam or jelly or honey...

kadesma :)

I've heard of buttermilk pie, but never tasted it.

Buttermilk is great for biscuits, cornbread and pancakes! You can also soak your chicken pieces in it before coating for frying.

Michelemarie said:
Yum! Homemade buttermilk dressing! Can you share the recipe?

Recipe is at home but it's basically:

1 part mayo
1/2 part sour cream
1/2 part buttermilk
some dry mustard, paprika, s & white pepper, garlic powder

To make it more ranch I put fresh chopped parsley and chives in it.

It just needs to sit for the flavors to blend. Then in a couple days add some bleu cheese to it and let it blend for the day.

Kitchenelf, thanks for the recipe! I have never fried chicken, I'm too "chicken":LOL: . Thank you all for the tips! I will definately do the dressing and maybe some biscuits and try the pie out of curiousity!

Green Tomatoes... Good marinade, and a good liquid for dipping in general for a frying side... or even Chicken). Everything tastes better with fresh fried chicken or green tomatoes ;-)

Casper

I purchase the powdered buttermilk and then i just mix up what need, it last a long time in the refrige. I also have use the subsitute of 1 cup milk mix with 1tbl of vinegar and let it set a couple of min. or even 1 cup of plain yogurt all came out fine.

Do try the buttermilk pie, it is sort of like chess pie and it is really good. I use lots of buttermilk (it's a southern thing) in salad dressing, mashed potatoes, cornbread, chicken, biscuits, and cakes.

I bought buttermilk to make homemade cinnemon buns. Unfortunately, I kept procastinating and never made them and I think the buttermilk isn't going to last much longer. Good Ideas. I still might do the cinnemon buns. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom