"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO TNT Mac and Cheese WithOUT Heavy Cream

I wanted to try real mac and cheese but the only recipe I found had heavy cream and at $4 a quart, it just seems to be too expensive. For $4 I can buy 2 boxes of the top shelf boxed stuff. And the $4 is just for the cream, it doesn't include the cost of the cheeses to put in it. So I'm looking for a good cheese sauce that doesn't include heavy cream that I can use to make mac and cheese.

Mods ~ if this was supposed to go in Pastas, I'm sorry, it was a 50/50 shot of getting it in the right spot.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Callisto, I make my cheese sauce with milk. I'd rather save the cream for dessert.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Master Chef

[quote=Loprraine;791776]Callisto, I make my cheese sauce with milk. I'd rather save the cream for dessert.[/quote

So do I.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Can either of you post your recipe? I've only got one from the Better Homes cookbook that is eons old and a couple Rachel Ray recipes and with her budget, she goes all out with the most expensive ingredients.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't follow an actual recipe for mac and cheese, it's usually a "clean out the cheese bin" meal. My basic sauce recipe is 1 tsp each of butter and flour to 1 C milk. Seasonings are salt, pepeer, bit of cayenne, bit of dry mustard. The cheese is added to the sauce off the heat. It's a great way of using up leftovers.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

ditto loprraine's menu. I add a bit of dried onion and garlic to the noodles while they cook. I also add a bit of nutmeg.
Make a roux with the butter and flour, then add the milk slowly, stir till thickened.
Then add the cheese and stir it till melty. (whatever melty is, LOL)
Mix it into the noodles, top with crushed chips or flavored bread crumbs if desired,
bake about 20 minutes at 350 or so.
I like cheddar and montery jack cheese, but just about any cheeses will do just fine!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Yum. Is 1% milk okay or should I pick up some whole milk?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

It might be better with whole milk, but I've used to make it on a regular basis it with 2%, and it was.

Grillingfool, I forgot the nutmeg, thanks! If you don't have dried onion, you can add finely chopped onion to milk (if you heat the milk before making the sauce).
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Head Chef

I never use cream for mac and cheese. It would be too rich and gooey. I don't use a recipe, but here is roughly what I do:

Take 8 ounces macaroni, any shape you want. Boil for about 8-10 minutes, drain and rinse and set aside.

Grate 3 cups Cheddar cheese, or use a combo of cheddar, swiss, muenster, gouda, whatever you like. Set aside one cup for topping.

Melt 3 TBS butter and add 3 TBS flour. Stir rapidly to make a roux and let it bubble a bit. Add two cups milk (2% is fine). Let it cook for about 3 minutes to cook the flour.
Add 2 cups grated cheese,. remove from heat and stir to melt cheese. Don't let it boil at this point or cheese will break down into yucky lumpy things. Salt and pepper to taste. Here, you can also add dry mustard, diced onions, anything else you want to perk it up. My DH is a purist, so I don't add anything else.

Butter a baking pan. Mix the cooked macaroni into the sauce. Pour into pan and top with the remainder of the cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350F, just to melt top cheese. Don't let it get dry.

Lots of people add bread crumbs, bacon, other stuff. We like it just like this. Hope you do, too.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Karen that sounds fantastic. I actually picked up some extra cheese at the store to try that. I was thinking of maybe adding bacon and bread crumbs to the topping. The cheese I bought is Cheddar-ella which is mozarella and cheddar combined but I have some cheddar cheese and some Velveta (I hear that stuff is really good in mac and cheese). We'll see how it goes.

Any chance I can freeze if there are left overs?

Tags
None