Italian Eggs with.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcotton

Senior Cook
Well, I'm not sure whether the eggs are really Italian or not, but I got the recipe from an Italian cookbook :) . The taste was simply scrumptious. Of course, I can't just leave a recipe alone, so I added about 1 Tbs minced garlic, 1 leftover pork chop-chopped, and sprinkled Parm. Reg. over it just before serving.

img_305132_0_94a7c23bb1f7e22bc34e715fad4aae66.jpg
http://www.discusscooking.com/attac...305132_0_94a7c23bb1f7e22bc34e715fad4aae66.jpg

* Exported from MasterCook *
Baked Eggs with Tomatoes
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion -- finely chopped
1 pound tomatoes, peeled and seeded -- chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
6 large eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof dish. Add the onion, and cook until soft and golden.
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Add the tomatoes to the onions, and cook for 5--10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are very soft. Stir in the chopped basil.
Break the eggs, one at a time, and slip them into the dish in one layer on top of the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with butter. Cover the dish, and bake in the oven for 7--10 minutes, or until the egg whites have just set, but the yolks are still soft. Serve at once.
Variation: Sprinkle 2--3 Tbs of freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the eggs before baking for a richer, tastier dish.
Source:
"The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : These eggs simply baked over a fresh tomato sauce make an easy dish for a light supper or breakfast.
3 large or 6 small servings.

Man, that looks spectacular!

I would HAVE to work some sausage or bacon in there! That looks like an excellent dinner any time, but especially in tomato season!

Lee

There is a companion recipe that is very similar to it that I'll post if anyone is interested. It's good too!

Eggs and tomatoes are a very common dish, effectively, but I did'nt know this baked version.
I've already made them pouring the eggs on a pan over the same tomato sauce, and mixing quickly on a low flame, till everything is like a cream.
Large slices of bread, and a generous red wine.

Back
Top Bottom